It’s been almost a year since Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglass made history by becoming the first Black woman to be crowned individual all-around gold medalist and winning gold with her team, dubbed the Fierce Five. This achievement made a whole nation proud and even gold-medal winning gymast Dominque Dawes, herself a pioneer in the sport, was moved to tears by the accomplishment. Since then, Douglas, now 17, has stayed busy. It’s not even a year since her gold-medal heroics and she’s on her second book. “Raising the Bar” is a follow-up to her “Grace, Gold and Glory: My Leap of Faith,” a book that detailed her quick rise. In this one, she talks about her ongoing triumphs as well as her challenges as becoming a household name. It includes some exclusive photos and memories of her last 9 months in the spotlight.
“It’s been almost a year since the Olympics but it feels like five years because so much has happened,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Her mother Natalie Hawkins is truly proud of her daughter’ success, but deserves a lion’s share of the credit given the undiluted support she offered her youngest daughter.
“It was not easy but I knew I would have regrets if I didn’t help her pursue it because I was so passionate about it,” Hawkins told the TJMS. “Even at age 8, she was incredibly focused and discipline and I could see how serious she was about it, so I could do no less on my part. She was so incredibly good. All of the coaches and everyone who came into contact with her echoed the same thing. This kid has the most amazing raw talent and most coaches that we worked with said they’d never seen a prodigy like her before.”
Douglas’ entire family supported the effort it took to make her an Olympian. Far from sibling rivalry, Douglas also credits her brother and sister for helping her achieve.
“My brothers and sisters were always supportive. Actually, they gave up their dreams so I could achieve mine. They’ve always been there for me. They’re incredible, they’re amazing and they’ve been supporting me throughout this massive journey and they helped me through the tough times.”
As anyone who watched the Olympics knows, Douglas also set and example with her strong Christian faith. Hawkins, who raised her children in Newport News, VA., (Douglas’ parents are divorced) says it’s something she tried hard to instill in her children.
“I was raised in the church and I tried to encourage my kids to live a life of faith. I wanted it to be their choice, though. I didn’t want to choose for them. I exposed them to different beliefs and just prayed they would choose the right one.”
Aside from her book, Douglas is also working with McDonald’s to promote “Egg White Delight” their new egg white delight sandwich, a healthier version of their classic Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich.
Though her teammate Aly Raisman is dong well on the current season of “Dancing with the Stars,” Douglas says she won’t be on the show, because of other pressing priorities.
“You guys want me to do another Olympics right?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30