It’s been almost a year since Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglass made history by becoming the first Black woman to be crowned individual all-around gold medalist and winning gold with her team, dubbed the Fierce Five. This achievement made a whole nation proud and even gold-medal winning gymast Dominque Dawes, herself a pioneer in the sport, was moved to tears by the accomplishment. Since then, Douglas, now 17, has stayed busy. It’s not even a year since her gold-medal heroics and she’s on her second book. “Raising the Bar” is a follow-up to her “Grace, Gold and Glory: My Leap of Faith,” a book that detailed her quick rise. In this one, she talks about her ongoing triumphs as well as her challenges as becoming a household name. It includes some exclusive photos and memories of her last 9 months in the spotlight.
“It’s been almost a year since the Olympics but it feels like five years because so much has happened,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Her mother Natalie Hawkins is truly proud of her daughter’ success, but deserves a lion’s share of the credit given the undiluted support she offered her youngest daughter.
“It was not easy but I knew I would have regrets if I didn’t help her pursue it because I was so passionate about it,” Hawkins told the TJMS. “Even at age 8, she was incredibly focused and discipline and I could see how serious she was about it, so I could do no less on my part. She was so incredibly good. All of the coaches and everyone who came into contact with her echoed the same thing. This kid has the most amazing raw talent and most coaches that we worked with said they’d never seen a prodigy like her before.”
Douglas’ entire family supported the effort it took to make her an Olympian. Far from sibling rivalry, Douglas also credits her brother and sister for helping her achieve.
“My brothers and sisters were always supportive. Actually, they gave up their dreams so I could achieve mine. They’ve always been there for me. They’re incredible, they’re amazing and they’ve been supporting me throughout this massive journey and they helped me through the tough times.”
As anyone who watched the Olympics knows, Douglas also set and example with her strong Christian faith. Hawkins, who raised her children in Newport News, VA., (Douglas’ parents are divorced) says it’s something she tried hard to instill in her children.
“I was raised in the church and I tried to encourage my kids to live a life of faith. I wanted it to be their choice, though. I didn’t want to choose for them. I exposed them to different beliefs and just prayed they would choose the right one.”
Aside from her book, Douglas is also working with McDonald’s to promote “Egg White Delight” their new egg white delight sandwich, a healthier version of their classic Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich.
Though her teammate Aly Raisman is dong well on the current season of “Dancing with the Stars,” Douglas says she won’t be on the show, because of other pressing priorities.
“You guys want me to do another Olympics right?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31