A “crackerjack team” of journalists at an NBC affiliate wrongly identified Chris “Mac Daddy” Kelly as Jermaine Dupri as they reported his passing, according to UPROXX, but this latest faux pas is just one of many when it comes to the media properly identifying Blacks.
On Wednesday night, An NBC affiliate broadcast the news that Kelly was found unresponsive at his Atlanta home and later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
When it was time to run the image of Kelly, they instead ran a photo of record producer and rapper Jermaine Dupri. Even more ridiculous was their sourcing of “Google.com” for the image, suggesting that they could have easily googled Kelly to see what he actually looked like.
Dupri discovered Kelly and Chris Smith at an Atlanta mall in the early nineties. Soon after, Dupri produced the duo’s first album and introduced the then-tweens to the music world in 1992. The album’s first single, “Jump,” topped the Billboard Hot 100 for eight weeks, with Kelly and Smith even making a fashion splash by wearing their clothing backward.
Kelly and Smith eventually went their separate ways after their third album in 1996 but reunited this year for the So So Def’s 20th anniversary concert.
Unfortunately, “news organizations” often “mix up” the identities of African Americans.
Only last year, Buffalo NBC affiliate WGRZ Channel 2 apologized for using a picture of the singer Seal (pictured above) to announce the death of actor Michael Clarke Duncan who passed away last September. The station posted their “sorry” on Facebook:
Yep; our bad; we own it. A careless editing error at the end of the Michael Clarke Duncan story in our 11pm news. Two entertainment stories accidentally merged into one video clip. Sincere apologies.
Then in January, fashion bible Elle Magazinemistook reality star, Nene Leakes (pictured left) of the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” fame for actress Danai Gurira (pictured), who co-stars on the zombie show “Walking Dead.”
Obviously, the women look nothing alike!
And at PresidentBarack Obama’s inauguration, NBA iconBill Russell (pictured left) wasmistakenfor actor Morgan Freeman (pictured right) by ABC news journalist George Stephanopoulos, who clearly should have known better!
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Media Does It Again: NBC Affiliate Confuses Jermaine Dupri For Deceased Chris Kelly