There It Is by Jayne Cortez (1982)
And if we don’t fight
if we don’t resist
if we don’t organize and unify and
get the power to control our own lives
then we will wear
the exaggerated look of captivity
the stylized look of submission
the bizarre look of suicide
the dehumanized look of fear
and the decomposed look of repression
forever and ever and ever
And there it is…
Jayne Cortez was a jazz poet whose work was performed all over the world. She has graced the stages of Carnegie Hall, the Museum of Modern Art and the Schomburg Research Center in New York. Cortez began composing her poetry to music in the 1960’s. One of her most memorable pieces is “If the Drum Is a Woman,” written in response to Duke Ellington’s “A Drum is a Woman” in 1956.
Hear Cortez’ poem below.
Born Sallie Jayne Richardson, Jayne Cortez was born on the Army base at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. She was raised in a military environment, as her father was a veteran of both world wars. As she began to perform her jazz poetry, she took her maternal grandmother’s maiden name of Cortez as her own surnamer. Upon receiving her education, Cortez became a respected professor at Rutgers and other major universities. She wrote 12 books of poetry and released 11 recordings.
During the 1960’s, Cortez formed her own band called The Firespitters. One of the members was her son, Denardo, from her first marriage to musician Ornette Coleman.
In 1963 and 1964, Cortez used her vocal and writing talent to help register voters in Mississippi. She started the Watts Repertory Theater Company in Los Angeles and gave her first public poetry reading. She traveled throughout Europe and Africa, taking a home in Dakar, Senegal. She settled in New York in 1967. Cortez worked with sculptor Melvin Edwards to illustrate many of her works. The two married in 1975.
In 1991, Cortez co-founded the Organization of Women Writers of Africa with writer Ama Ata Aidoo.
Among her many works of poetry were “Festivals and Funerals” (1971), “Coagulations” (1984) and “Jazz Fan Looks Back” (2002).
Cortez received many awards for her work in jazz poetry. Among them were the Langston Hughes Award and the New York Foundation for the Arts award.
Jayne Cortez passed away of heart failure on December 28, 2012 at her Manhattan, N.Y. home. She was remembered at a tribute at the Cooper Union Foundation Building. At her request, her ashes were taken to Benin, Nigeria by her family, where she was given a traditional ceremony.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30