By now EVERYONE has heard about Jason Collins announcement that he is gay. We have seen the tweets of support from everyone from the President and First Lady to fellow ball players. There has been an overwhelming media support that has over the last few years in particular become broadly more gay friend and has definitely not tolerated gay slurs and innuendos that not long ago would have been accepted or ignored. There are two areas of this story that I find interesting.
The first is, about tolerance. You know we are living in a shifting society when one of the public faces being most critiqued is the Christian brother who has the courage to go on air and have a level of conviction to his faith. Jason has the right to come out to the world, and I believe that anyone that can find a level of peace embracing who they believe themselves to be is a wonderful thing.
However, to embrace the honesty of a player who chooses to publicly announce his sexuality and demean a brother, Chris Broussard, who respectfully stated that his faith informs him that homosexuality is a sin publicly is a tad hypocritical. In the days and times where people of faith are labeled as un-evolved and out of touch, I appreciate a black man that did not demonize Jason, didn’t call him names, and did not single out homosexuality, but spoke to all biblical sexual morality and its opposition to living a Christian life. We can debate if we even as Christians agree with his theology, we can debate if we as humans agree with his approach, but we cannot in the name of political correctness say that everyone has to support Jason Collins announcement.
I long for the day when we CAN disagree without one side or the other being labeled. The question is can we disagree, stating our opinion, whether religious or academic with respect. Real tolerance is not just about accepting one side, but the views no matter how painful of others even as we disagree. I want to celebrate Chris for his holy boldness as much as Jason for his human boldness.
The second area is tolerance. I know I said that already, but roll with me. We are creating a false sense of acceptance in the black community when we believe that public tweets and remarks of support always translate to the way we treat each other when NO cameras or social media is present. There is a double standard even in the media when it comes to sexual orientation.
The world is normally more open to lesbians than gay men. Weather it is a result of sexual fantasy or the perceived softness of women being easier for some to handle than the thought of two men, there is a double standard. Which is why you have yet to see a major player come out. It’s not about how we will treat them on twitter, but how we will or will not embrace them in our community. Even within Christianity we often take the job of judgment from GOD and administer it ourselves.
Real tolerance and love is about embracing our gay brothers and sisters despite how our culture and faith calls us to believe; and letting GOD be the judge. When we do this there will be no hiding, and you might see major stars in masculine defined sports coming out….until then……well. Thanks Jason Collins.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25