Comedian D.L. Hughley couldn’t wait until Friday to comment about Jason Collins‘ coming out, so he called the TJMS to give his interesting take on the “too tall to be gay” athlete’s big announcement.
TOM JOYNER : DL Hughley. DL!
DL: Hey, man. How you doing, man?
TOM JOYNER : Man, I’m good.
J. ANTHONY BROWN : What up, D?
DL: Hey, what’s up J? How you doing, Sybil?
SYBIL WILKES: Hey, DL. Happy Friday on Tuesday.
DL: Oh absolutely, sweetheart. I just decided to come and get, try to get some a little early.
Jason Collins, of course, came out. You know, I used to play golf with him. And the first thing that came out, when he said he was gay, the first thing I thought is this dude is too tall to be gay. Like one of them lines you have to be taller than to ride a ride at Six Flags.
TOM JOYNER : Did you really play golf with him?
DL: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah.
TOM JOYNER : Did you know?
DL: No, of course I didn’t know. I wouldn’t have cared if that made a difference, he still goes left all the timeI should’ve known he was gay because he never hit the ball straight.
SYBIL WILKES: Wow.
DL: I didn’t know. But let me tell you something. It’s ironic that the first, of course, the first openly, it’s ironic that the first gay player isn’t even a starter. Right? So it’s ironic that the first gay player rides the pine. It just writes itself. I am so glad and proud of him for coming out, man. I’m just glad that he was on the team called the Wizards. If he was on the Packers, the Browns, or Rams. They wouldn’t be able ot stop laughing at the press conference. The first openly gay player is a Packer. What?!?
What does this say about our society that you could be more famous for who you do than what you do. Literally, President Obama has called him, Michelle Obama has, like he’s a hero. Like, What, you’re a hero? Superman could beat a villain in a single bound, right.
TOM JOYNER : That’s a hero.
DL: Collins just loves dudes. That’s not the same thing.
TOM JOYNER : That’s the same thing.
DL: I have no idea what his superpower is and I don’t know want to know. But, let me just say this, and Chris Broussard came out and said I am as respectful of Jason Collins that he expressed himself as I am. Chris Broussard is absolutely right. You asked this man a question, he gave you a answer, you didn’t like the answer. Only in our society are you vilified for telling people what you think even when they ask you. Even when they ask you.
And the funny thing about people that rail on about homosexuality being a sin. Homosexuality didn’t make God’s Top Seven Sins. Top Seven Sins. Gluttony and Greed did, and I ain’t never seen nobody try to ban second helpings, that ain’t gonna’ happen. If they banned second helpings, they wouldn’t have a choir. Some of the fattest people I know is at church.
Send all your hate mail to Tom Joyner or Jay Anthony Brown
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31