Comedian D.L. Hughley couldn’t wait until Friday to comment about Jason Collins‘ coming out, so he called the TJMS to give his interesting take on the “too tall to be gay” athlete’s big announcement.
TOM JOYNER : DL Hughley. DL!
DL: Hey, man. How you doing, man?
TOM JOYNER : Man, I’m good.
J. ANTHONY BROWN : What up, D?
DL: Hey, what’s up J? How you doing, Sybil?
SYBIL WILKES: Hey, DL. Happy Friday on Tuesday.
DL: Oh absolutely, sweetheart. I just decided to come and get, try to get some a little early.
Jason Collins, of course, came out. You know, I used to play golf with him. And the first thing that came out, when he said he was gay, the first thing I thought is this dude is too tall to be gay. Like one of them lines you have to be taller than to ride a ride at Six Flags.
TOM JOYNER : Did you really play golf with him?
DL: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah.
TOM JOYNER : Did you know?
DL: No, of course I didn’t know. I wouldn’t have cared if that made a difference, he still goes left all the timeI should’ve known he was gay because he never hit the ball straight.
SYBIL WILKES: Wow.
DL: I didn’t know. But let me tell you something. It’s ironic that the first, of course, the first openly, it’s ironic that the first gay player isn’t even a starter. Right? So it’s ironic that the first gay player rides the pine. It just writes itself. I am so glad and proud of him for coming out, man. I’m just glad that he was on the team called the Wizards. If he was on the Packers, the Browns, or Rams. They wouldn’t be able ot stop laughing at the press conference. The first openly gay player is a Packer. What?!?
What does this say about our society that you could be more famous for who you do than what you do. Literally, President Obama has called him, Michelle Obama has, like he’s a hero. Like, What, you’re a hero? Superman could beat a villain in a single bound, right.
TOM JOYNER : That’s a hero.
DL: Collins just loves dudes. That’s not the same thing.
TOM JOYNER : That’s the same thing.
DL: I have no idea what his superpower is and I don’t know want to know. But, let me just say this, and Chris Broussard came out and said I am as respectful of Jason Collins that he expressed himself as I am. Chris Broussard is absolutely right. You asked this man a question, he gave you a answer, you didn’t like the answer. Only in our society are you vilified for telling people what you think even when they ask you. Even when they ask you.
And the funny thing about people that rail on about homosexuality being a sin. Homosexuality didn’t make God’s Top Seven Sins. Top Seven Sins. Gluttony and Greed did, and I ain’t never seen nobody try to ban second helpings, that ain’t gonna’ happen. If they banned second helpings, they wouldn’t have a choir. Some of the fattest people I know is at church.
Send all your hate mail to Tom Joyner or Jay Anthony Brown
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25