Who killed Kendrick Johnson? Nobody knows. Or at least nobody is talking. And police investigators are no closer to solving Johnson’s death today.
Johnson, a popular high school football player, was found dead on January 11. Johnson’s family deserves answers – and right now. It’s unconscionable that after three months, police have no suspects, have made no arrests, and can’t close this case.
And why not? Why is this case so complicated? And why has it taken three months to conduct an additional autopsy?
There is enough blame to go around, and meanwhile, bumbling investigators are making a complete mess of this case. And with every day that goes by without answers, the trail for clues gets colder and colder.
It’s an utter disgrace, unprofessional and the sloppiest investigative work I’ve seen in years. Maybe investigators don’t care. Or are they covering up a crime?
Police said there were no signs of foul play. But Johnson’s family said Kendrick was murdered.
“He was last seen third block going to fourth block, he was seen no more,” Kenneth Johnson, Kendrick’s father, told a local radio station. “Then again, I want to express how did my son go missing during school hours in broad daylight? We know our son was murdered while he was at Lowndes High School. We do know that.”
Johnson, a sophomore at Lowndes High School, was found dead in a rolled-up wrestling mat at his high school gym and the circumstances surrounding his death are sketchy. Although Johnson’s death was ruled accidental by authorities, his family wants law enforcement officials to start a criminal investigation. The family is suspicious of how Johnson died – and for good reason.
Johnson was found with bruises to his face and body, so clearly Johnson had been beaten. Authorities have not explained the bruises.
Meanwhile, the Lowndes High School administration refuses to release video of Johnson’s last moments at the school. CNN reports that no students, teachers or administrators noticed that Johnson was missing from his classes until his father worried that he did not return home after school.
And it gets worse: the Georgia county coroner, Bill Watson, admitted that the county’s sheriff’s department did not notify him about Johnson’s death on January 11. It is unclear how long it took for the sheriff’s department to notify Watson, or if any evidence was removed or tampered with.
So this case has inept police, a shady coroner, and a suspect sheriff’s department. No wonder Johnson’s family is outraged and confused. They don’t know who to trust – and that’s a shame.
But here’s what I believe: Somebody knows something. And somebody saw something. Lowndes High School is a small school in Valdosta, Georgia. People know people in small towns and folks talk.
“How can you go on when you have a beloved child who wakes up everybody in the house and makes a laugh out of everything? How can you go on? It’s hard,” Johnson said.
Seven of Johnson’s family members were arrested recently for protesting the lack of expediency in the investigation and they are hoping to put more pressure on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to jump-start the case.
This is a horrible investigation of a horrible crime. Since it’s clear that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is either unwilling or unable to close this case, then the FBI should be brought in to investigate the investigators and get to the bottom of why, after three months, Kendrick Johnson’s parents have no idea why their son is dead.
That should be a crime, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30