Who killed Kendrick Johnson? Nobody knows. Or at least nobody is talking. And police investigators are no closer to solving Johnson’s death today.
Johnson, a popular high school football player, was found dead on January 11. Johnson’s family deserves answers – and right now. It’s unconscionable that after three months, police have no suspects, have made no arrests, and can’t close this case.
And why not? Why is this case so complicated? And why has it taken three months to conduct an additional autopsy?
There is enough blame to go around, and meanwhile, bumbling investigators are making a complete mess of this case. And with every day that goes by without answers, the trail for clues gets colder and colder.
It’s an utter disgrace, unprofessional and the sloppiest investigative work I’ve seen in years. Maybe investigators don’t care. Or are they covering up a crime?
Police said there were no signs of foul play. But Johnson’s family said Kendrick was murdered.
“He was last seen third block going to fourth block, he was seen no more,” Kenneth Johnson, Kendrick’s father, told a local radio station. “Then again, I want to express how did my son go missing during school hours in broad daylight? We know our son was murdered while he was at Lowndes High School. We do know that.”
Johnson, a sophomore at Lowndes High School, was found dead in a rolled-up wrestling mat at his high school gym and the circumstances surrounding his death are sketchy. Although Johnson’s death was ruled accidental by authorities, his family wants law enforcement officials to start a criminal investigation. The family is suspicious of how Johnson died – and for good reason.
Johnson was found with bruises to his face and body, so clearly Johnson had been beaten. Authorities have not explained the bruises.
Meanwhile, the Lowndes High School administration refuses to release video of Johnson’s last moments at the school. CNN reports that no students, teachers or administrators noticed that Johnson was missing from his classes until his father worried that he did not return home after school.
And it gets worse: the Georgia county coroner, Bill Watson, admitted that the county’s sheriff’s department did not notify him about Johnson’s death on January 11. It is unclear how long it took for the sheriff’s department to notify Watson, or if any evidence was removed or tampered with.
So this case has inept police, a shady coroner, and a suspect sheriff’s department. No wonder Johnson’s family is outraged and confused. They don’t know who to trust – and that’s a shame.
But here’s what I believe: Somebody knows something. And somebody saw something. Lowndes High School is a small school in Valdosta, Georgia. People know people in small towns and folks talk.
“How can you go on when you have a beloved child who wakes up everybody in the house and makes a laugh out of everything? How can you go on? It’s hard,” Johnson said.
Seven of Johnson’s family members were arrested recently for protesting the lack of expediency in the investigation and they are hoping to put more pressure on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to jump-start the case.
This is a horrible investigation of a horrible crime. Since it’s clear that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is either unwilling or unable to close this case, then the FBI should be brought in to investigate the investigators and get to the bottom of why, after three months, Kendrick Johnson’s parents have no idea why their son is dead.
That should be a crime, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31