Terrence Howard has played almost every role in the book, from a bad guy robbing folks and a heroic hustling pimp to a war colonel and humble South African leader. But his real passion is founded in science.
We all thought Terrence was a bit too quirky to be an actor.
The actor says he has more to offer the world than being a character on the screen.
“I have greater things I can contribute to the world of science than an actor,” the 43-year-old told theGrio. “I had a conversation with Sidney Poitier. I asked him, ‘Why aren’t you going to do another movie?’ And he said, ‘I’m not going to do another impersonation of myself. I might have ten years left in my life, and I don’t want to waste it doing something I’ve already done before.’ If I can’t learn from a character, if I’m just going in and taking from a bag of tricks and choices for a character, I don’t want to do it. It’s pointless for me because I have to grow as a human being, and I don’t want the safe road.”
Science was his foundation as a child and he later pursued chemical engineering at Pratt Institute in New York. He actually holds a doctorate and recently started diamond growing venture. Believe it or not, he’s even filed for 23 patents over the past several years.
And did we mention he finished Albert Einstein‘s equation?
Terrence Howard. Scientist. Yeah, that’s pretty cool.
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Prince invented and received a patent for the keytar (portable keyboard) in 1992. (Photo: AP)
1 of 12
2. George Lucas invented and received patents for numerous toy action figures. (Photo: PR Photos)
2 of 12
3. Michael Jackson invented and received a patent for the anti gravity illusion shoes used in the video Smooth Criminal.
3 of 12
4. Steve McQueen invented and received a patent for a race car bucket seat.
4 of 12
5. Paula Abdul invented and received a patent for the Dynamic Mic Stand allowing her to sing and dance mic-free. (PR Photos)
5 of 12
6. Actor and amatuer drummer Marlon Brando invented and patented a tensioning device for tuning conga drums.
6 of 12
7. Heavyweight boxing champ Jack Johnson modified and patented an adjustable wrench now found in everyone's toolbox. (Photo: AP)
7 of 12
8. Harry Connick, Jr. designed a system and method for coordinating music display among players in an orchestra. (PR Photos)
8 of 12
9. Julie Newmar (catwoman) designed and recieved a patent for pantyhose with a shaping band for a more cheeky derriere .(PR)
9 of 12
10. Jamie Lee Curtis designed a disposable infant diaper with a waterproof pouch for wipes. (PR Photos)
10 of 12
11. Kevin Costner help invent the “Ocean Therapy” machine that separates oil and water at a speed of 200 gal. per minute.(PR)
11 of 12
12. Eddie Van Halen created and recieved patents related to a wearable support device for stringed instruments. (PR Photos)
12 of 12
The Next 007: Our Top 10 Picks
11 photos Launch gallery
1. 1. Christian Keyes is a breathtakingly handsome, 6'3" model turned actor. All the right stuff for a 007. (PR)
1 of 11
2. 2. Christian Keyes is still breathtakingly handsome with his shirt on. Just sayin! (PR)
2 of 11
3. 3. Idris Elba has all the qualifications for the role: British accent, excellent actor, tall, dark & handsome. (AP)
3 of 11
4. 4. Boris Kodjoe would make a great Bond. A fashion model turned actor and got the swagger & looks to pull it off. (PR)
4 of 11
5. 5. Chiwetel Ejiofor is handsome, has a British accent, numerous acting awards and is a great candidate to play Bond. (PR)
5 of 11
6. 6. Shemar Moore would be a great 007. He makes brandishing a loaded weapon look totally sexy. (PR)
6 of 11
7. 7. Lance Gross has all the qualifications to pull off the role of 007. He is tall, great actor and very easy on the eyes. (PR)
7 of 11
8. 8. Michael Ealy would make a fabulous 007. He looks great in a tux and the love scenes would rival the action scenes. (PR)
8 of 11
9. 9. Jesse Williams can do ANYTHING: model, teach high school and act on stage, film or television. (PR)
9 of 11
10. 10. Taye Diggs would also make a great James Bond. He is very sexy, got swag and is a wonderful actor. (PR)
10 of 11
11. 11. From barbarian to Bond would be an easy transition for Jason Momoa. I can already hear him saying 'Shaken, not stirred'
11 of 11