Lawyer, talk show hostess and author Star Jones has had a long and healthy career in the entertainment industry. As most people know if they’ve read her books or seen her during her time on “The View,” she also has no problem speaking her mind. That’s what she did earlier this year while watching “Scandal.” At that time, the show’s storyline had Olivia Pope, leader of the show’s fixer firm, Pope and Associates, involved with a Black senator, Edison Davis. As ‘Scandal-ites’ know, the Senator was ultimately passed over in favor of President Fitzgerald Grant, the very married President who is in love with Olivia. This rubbed Jones the wrong way and in a tweet she sent to Rhimes, she said so.
“??? for @shondaRhimes: Why does #OliviaPope reject fine azz Senate Maj Leader #EdisonDavis for married #POTUS w/ a pregnant wife? #Scandal,” Jones wrote. “I get POWER…I get POSITION…but @shondarhimes can the fierce powerful SINGLE sister pick the fierce powerful SINGLE brother?#scandal.”
“I love #scandal. @kerrywashington is ridiculously good…but I’d love to see #OliviaPope reject the unethical & immoral for a good brother!”
Rhimes, who is also creator of the shows “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Private Practice” and is the most powerful Black woman in television aside from Oprah Winfrey tweeted back:
“@shondarhimes: OH! Just read the tweets. Here’s answer: Because this show is not a fairy tale & Olivia is not a role model.”
Jones had nothing more to say, publicly at least, until this morning on The Tom Joyner Morning Show. When asked if she was “hating” on “Scandal” via a Text Tom listener, Jones responded.
“I love the storyline. I think most people know that one of my best friends is the impetus behind “Scandal” – Judy Smith. We just saw each other last week. I love, love Kerry. I don’t like what the storyline is but then again, this is fiction. So kinda who cares? If you ask me about the storyline, I’m not a fan, ever, as a Christian woman, of watching anybody have an affair with a married man with children.
I don’t think that’s good. I don’t care if you’re Black, or White and I don’t know who does. Anybody who does, please don’t come to my house because next time I see you sitting with my man, I’m going to know you would steal him. Why are we even arguing about that? If you want to know about how fantastic Kerry is in that role, she’s so next level it’s unbelievable.”
Given that Olivia Pope, played by Washington, is one of the only African-American professionals on TV, and the only to lead a network television drama (unless you count Meagan Good, who’s TV show “Deception” remains on the bubble for renewal next season) most would agree that her affair with a sitting president is also not the best look for a professional.
While on the TJMS, Jones dished a little advice for aspiring career women as well. A member of the National Association of Professional Women, a 400,000 strong membership with over 400 chapters nationwide, Jones said that the best advice she could give other career women is to be prepared.
“One of the things that is impressive to potential employers is that you have already done the work before you walk in the door. Not only should you have a nicely typed resume, and a good cover letter, you should have really put yourself out to learn something about the job or the industry that you’re interested in. You should have joined a networking organization. You should have done an internship. You should volunteer at conferences, meeting and seminars as sort of an aide so you can get to know people that are working in the industry that you are interested in working in.
“Theres no employer in the world that doesn’t want to enhance their own business. They’re not hiring you just to provide you with an opportunity to grow. They are hiring you because they think you can help them make additional money.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30