Lawyer, talk show hostess and author Star Jones has had a long and healthy career in the entertainment industry. As most people know if they’ve read her books or seen her during her time on “The View,” she also has no problem speaking her mind. That’s what she did earlier this year while watching “Scandal.” At that time, the show’s storyline had Olivia Pope, leader of the show’s fixer firm, Pope and Associates, involved with a Black senator, Edison Davis. As ‘Scandal-ites’ know, the Senator was ultimately passed over in favor of President Fitzgerald Grant, the very married President who is in love with Olivia. This rubbed Jones the wrong way and in a tweet she sent to Rhimes, she said so.
“??? for @shondaRhimes: Why does #OliviaPope reject fine azz Senate Maj Leader #EdisonDavis for married #POTUS w/ a pregnant wife? #Scandal,” Jones wrote. “I get POWER…I get POSITION…but @shondarhimes can the fierce powerful SINGLE sister pick the fierce powerful SINGLE brother?#scandal.”
“I love #scandal. @kerrywashington is ridiculously good…but I’d love to see #OliviaPope reject the unethical & immoral for a good brother!”
Rhimes, who is also creator of the shows “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Private Practice” and is the most powerful Black woman in television aside from Oprah Winfrey tweeted back:
“@shondarhimes: OH! Just read the tweets. Here’s answer: Because this show is not a fairy tale & Olivia is not a role model.”
Jones had nothing more to say, publicly at least, until this morning on The Tom Joyner Morning Show. When asked if she was “hating” on “Scandal” via a Text Tom listener, Jones responded.
“I love the storyline. I think most people know that one of my best friends is the impetus behind “Scandal” – Judy Smith. We just saw each other last week. I love, love Kerry. I don’t like what the storyline is but then again, this is fiction. So kinda who cares? If you ask me about the storyline, I’m not a fan, ever, as a Christian woman, of watching anybody have an affair with a married man with children.
I don’t think that’s good. I don’t care if you’re Black, or White and I don’t know who does. Anybody who does, please don’t come to my house because next time I see you sitting with my man, I’m going to know you would steal him. Why are we even arguing about that? If you want to know about how fantastic Kerry is in that role, she’s so next level it’s unbelievable.”
Given that Olivia Pope, played by Washington, is one of the only African-American professionals on TV, and the only to lead a network television drama (unless you count Meagan Good, who’s TV show “Deception” remains on the bubble for renewal next season) most would agree that her affair with a sitting president is also not the best look for a professional.
While on the TJMS, Jones dished a little advice for aspiring career women as well. A member of the National Association of Professional Women, a 400,000 strong membership with over 400 chapters nationwide, Jones said that the best advice she could give other career women is to be prepared.
“One of the things that is impressive to potential employers is that you have already done the work before you walk in the door. Not only should you have a nicely typed resume, and a good cover letter, you should have really put yourself out to learn something about the job or the industry that you’re interested in. You should have joined a networking organization. You should have done an internship. You should volunteer at conferences, meeting and seminars as sort of an aide so you can get to know people that are working in the industry that you are interested in working in.
“Theres no employer in the world that doesn’t want to enhance their own business. They’re not hiring you just to provide you with an opportunity to grow. They are hiring you because they think you can help them make additional money.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31