A few years back, on the ninth anniversary of 9-ll, I talked about fear… Well given the horrific events of the past week ―events that literally hit close to home for me since I live here in the Boston area ―I want to return to that topic.
And as I do I am reminded of my 2010 commentary about a movie trailer I saw for an upcoming Will and Jaden Smith blockbuster called After Earth, which also talked about fear.
In it, Will and Jaden find themselves in a futuristic and hostile version of Earth where all species of plants and animals have evolved to kill humans. In one poignant scene, Will’s character speaks these profound and timely words to his anxious son, played by Jaden.
He says: “Son, if we are going to survive this, you must realize that fear is not real… It is a product of thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me ―danger is very real… but fear is a choice.”
Powerful stuff, think about it. Fear as a choice, not a natural reaction, but a conditioned one, hmm.
Why is this important to recognize? Especially at critical times like now?
because: Acting out of fear, or abandoning reason and logic in the name of safety, has never kept us safe or secure. To the contrary, it makes us even more vulnerable.
You see, first, we are victimized by a tragic event, and then we are victimized again by those who take advantage of our fearful condition.
Like politicians who use tragedies to enact laws that strip us of our constitutional rights and liberties.
And in the end no one is safer, because safety, like fear, is largely an illusion. You can arm your home with alarms, weapons and surveillance cameras but that won’t protect you from the sinkhole under your house or the resentful family members you’re trapping inside with you.
There’s something more powerful than fear. You see, fear crumbles in the face of faith, love and hope.
Let’s look to eight year-old Martin Richard, one of the three to die in the Boston bombing, as an example.
He once responded to a school lesson on the shooting of Trayvon Martin by creating a sign that simply read, “No more hurting people. Peace.”
Isn’t it amazing how the pure sentiment of a child can transcend any notion of fear to make a basic human point, one, if honored, would have prevented such tragedies in the first place?
And that quote by Martin Richard, “No more hurting people. Peace.” is the one I’ll leave you with for this week. In the wake of this tragedy, it is the one law I’d gladly support.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31