A few years back, on the ninth anniversary of 9-ll, I talked about fear… Well given the horrific events of the past week ―events that literally hit close to home for me since I live here in the Boston area ―I want to return to that topic.
And as I do I am reminded of my 2010 commentary about a movie trailer I saw for an upcoming Will and Jaden Smith blockbuster called After Earth, which also talked about fear.
In it, Will and Jaden find themselves in a futuristic and hostile version of Earth where all species of plants and animals have evolved to kill humans. In one poignant scene, Will’s character speaks these profound and timely words to his anxious son, played by Jaden.
He says: “Son, if we are going to survive this, you must realize that fear is not real… It is a product of thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me ―danger is very real… but fear is a choice.”
Powerful stuff, think about it. Fear as a choice, not a natural reaction, but a conditioned one, hmm.
Why is this important to recognize? Especially at critical times like now?
because: Acting out of fear, or abandoning reason and logic in the name of safety, has never kept us safe or secure. To the contrary, it makes us even more vulnerable.
You see, first, we are victimized by a tragic event, and then we are victimized again by those who take advantage of our fearful condition.
Like politicians who use tragedies to enact laws that strip us of our constitutional rights and liberties.
And in the end no one is safer, because safety, like fear, is largely an illusion. You can arm your home with alarms, weapons and surveillance cameras but that won’t protect you from the sinkhole under your house or the resentful family members you’re trapping inside with you.
There’s something more powerful than fear. You see, fear crumbles in the face of faith, love and hope.
Let’s look to eight year-old Martin Richard, one of the three to die in the Boston bombing, as an example.
He once responded to a school lesson on the shooting of Trayvon Martin by creating a sign that simply read, “No more hurting people. Peace.”
Isn’t it amazing how the pure sentiment of a child can transcend any notion of fear to make a basic human point, one, if honored, would have prevented such tragedies in the first place?
And that quote by Martin Richard, “No more hurting people. Peace.” is the one I’ll leave you with for this week. In the wake of this tragedy, it is the one law I’d gladly support.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25