There’s a movement going on, one that will literally change the world for the better. And Green For All, a nationwide organization whose mission is to improve the lives of all Americans through building a clean energy economy, is a leader in this effort.
A clean energy economy boasts many benefits including energy independence and reducing pollution. But possibly the most important benefit is job creation. Green For All’s main goal is to create good quality jobs that not only provide a paycheck but security to lift needy Americans out of poverty.
CEO Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins has a special connection to the issue of environmental pollution. Born in San Francisco, she moved to a community in California that was one house away from the Chevron refinery and within 30 miles of several other factories. Boiling water to remove oil deposits was the norm for her and her family and she struggled with asthma. But moving wasn’t an option for them, which was common among the families in that community. Staying there meant having a job, but it also meant struggling with extremely poor air quality.
“If you were poor, black or brown, you only had a choice between health and the environment or health and a job,” says Ellis-Lamkins. Her experience led her to advocate for workers’ rights. She later realized that the main issue at hand was economic.
“Green For All is a place that wants every person to believe they don’t have to give up working to have a healthy environment. They can have both,” she says. Poor people of color sometimes don’t think they deserve a better environment, says Ellis-Lamkins. Convincing them otherwise is her greatest challenge. But the organization is determined to change that by creating specific strategies so that folks most harmed are a part of the solution.
Their strategy is three-fold:
- Create green jobs to employ those who need it most.
- Work to change laws and create incentives for businesses to create those jobs.
- Make change fun by partnering with musicians and entertainers like the Black Eyed Peas, Common, Drake and others to raise awareness.
Green For All has teamed up with many large organizations like the NAACP, the Urban League, HBCUs,the Congressional Black Caucus and many grassroots organizations around the country to reach their goals. This Earth Day, Green For All is hoping to reach the masses by engaging young people via livestream.
Join #EarthDayLive, a two-hour livestream by Green For All and of the Young Voters Education Fund that will include environmental call to actions from Common, Drake, Anthony Mackie, Wyclef Jean, Will.i.am and Wiz Khalifa., as well as in-depth interviews with industry leaders. Tune in today from 3-5 EDT and to access the livestream.
(Photo: Courtesy of Green For All)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30