Brittney Griner will start her professional basketball career as an openly gay woman after coming out in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“It wasn’t too difficult,” said the Baylor University dunk enthusiast and new Phoenix Mercury player, when asked if her decision to come out was difficult. “I wouldn’t say I was hiding or anything like that. I’ve always been open about who I am and my sexuality.”
Griner – interviewed with her fellow top draft picks, Skylar Diggins and Elena Delle Donne – said she wants youth to know that it’s okay to be who they are.
Diggins and Delle Done both chimed in and said that they support openly gay players.
“In our sport, we’re fine with it,” Delle Donne said. “We’re all friends, and I want everybody to be who they are. You shouldn’t have to lie, that’s not fair. Hopefully the men can one day adopt that same attitude that we have.”
Added Diggins: “We like her [Griner] because she’s herself. We don’t care. It has nothing to do with basketball or how you play the game. I think that people need to realize that.”
Griner, a 6-foot-8 phenom, finished as the second all-time scorer in women’s NCAA history, with 3,283 points. She is the top shot-blocker ever, shattering both the men’s and women’s college marks with 748. She also had a record 18 dunks — including 11 this season.
Delle Donne, the second draft pick is headed to the Chicago Sky and Diggins (third pick) will be joining the Tulsa Shock.
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25