Racism found its way onto a Long Island, New York golf course last week after a white golfer went berserk, yelled the N-word at two black golfers, attacked one of the black players with a golf club, and then threatened to stab him.
The reason for the unprovoked racial attack: The black players apparently weren’t playing golf fast enough.
Grant Smith, 48, who is white, shouted at the black golfers, accusing them of not having proper golf etiquette. He used the N-word three times while yelling at the black men at the White Course at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow.
“I said, ‘if you were courteous, I would have allowed you to go through, but after this, no,'” one of the black golfers told NBC 4 New York. “After the third one, he grabbed his club … came up to us and swung the iron and hit my buddy in the leg.”
The impact broke the head off the club, and police said Smith then threatened to stab the men with the broken club.
Smith was arrested at his home in Long Beach and charged with two counts of assault and hate crime menacing. He pleaded not guilty in court last week and is being held on $50,000 bond. A judge also issued orders of protection for the two attacked golfers.
Smith thinks he’s not guilty of what? Not guilty of using the N-word? Not guilty of racism? Not guilty of assault?
Good luck with that.
This kind of premeditated bigotry is particularly troubling. It’s bad enough that African Americans are forced to file racial discrimination suits for injustices in the workplace, housing and public schools, but now two black men, 66 and 65 years old, can’t even play a relaxing game of golf without being called the N-word and attacked by a lunatic who wanted to speed up his golf game on the third hole.
Maybe Smith was enraged because two African American men were playing on a course that Smith considers exclusive for white golfers.
Are some Americans becoming more comfortable using the N-word in public and becoming more enraged with black people? And is there a pattern developing?
Smith’s bizarre racial meltdown comes two months after Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, was arrested for slapping a black toddler on a Delta flight after using the N-word to describe the baby.
Hundley was tired of listening to the baby crying and decided to apply his own brand of in-flight corporal punishment. Hundley was arrested and charged with assaulting a minor on a flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta after he shouted the N-word at the toddler and then slapped the baby with an open hand.
“He reeked of alcohol,” Jessica Bennett, 33, the boy’s mother, told a local television station. “He was belligerent, and I was uncomfortable.”
“And I said, ‘What did you say?’ because I couldn’t believe that he would say that,” Bennett said. “He fell onto my face and his mouth was in my ear and he said it again but even more hateful. And he’s on my face, so I pushed him away.”
Hundley lost his job because of his racist behavior and Smith should certainly be punished for assaulting the black golfer.
In the meantime, it seems the N-word is being used more frequently in public by those who feel it’s acceptable to degrade African Americans. And some still call this President Barack Obama’s post-racial society.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31