Racism found its way onto a Long Island, New York golf course last week after a white golfer went berserk, yelled the N-word at two black golfers, attacked one of the black players with a golf club, and then threatened to stab him.
The reason for the unprovoked racial attack: The black players apparently weren’t playing golf fast enough.
Grant Smith, 48, who is white, shouted at the black golfers, accusing them of not having proper golf etiquette. He used the N-word three times while yelling at the black men at the White Course at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow.
“I said, ‘if you were courteous, I would have allowed you to go through, but after this, no,'” one of the black golfers told NBC 4 New York. “After the third one, he grabbed his club … came up to us and swung the iron and hit my buddy in the leg.”
The impact broke the head off the club, and police said Smith then threatened to stab the men with the broken club.
Smith was arrested at his home in Long Beach and charged with two counts of assault and hate crime menacing. He pleaded not guilty in court last week and is being held on $50,000 bond. A judge also issued orders of protection for the two attacked golfers.
Smith thinks he’s not guilty of what? Not guilty of using the N-word? Not guilty of racism? Not guilty of assault?
Good luck with that.
This kind of premeditated bigotry is particularly troubling. It’s bad enough that African Americans are forced to file racial discrimination suits for injustices in the workplace, housing and public schools, but now two black men, 66 and 65 years old, can’t even play a relaxing game of golf without being called the N-word and attacked by a lunatic who wanted to speed up his golf game on the third hole.
Maybe Smith was enraged because two African American men were playing on a course that Smith considers exclusive for white golfers.
Are some Americans becoming more comfortable using the N-word in public and becoming more enraged with black people? And is there a pattern developing?
Smith’s bizarre racial meltdown comes two months after Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, was arrested for slapping a black toddler on a Delta flight after using the N-word to describe the baby.
Hundley was tired of listening to the baby crying and decided to apply his own brand of in-flight corporal punishment. Hundley was arrested and charged with assaulting a minor on a flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta after he shouted the N-word at the toddler and then slapped the baby with an open hand.
“He reeked of alcohol,” Jessica Bennett, 33, the boy’s mother, told a local television station. “He was belligerent, and I was uncomfortable.”
“And I said, ‘What did you say?’ because I couldn’t believe that he would say that,” Bennett said. “He fell onto my face and his mouth was in my ear and he said it again but even more hateful. And he’s on my face, so I pushed him away.”
Hundley lost his job because of his racist behavior and Smith should certainly be punished for assaulting the black golfer.
In the meantime, it seems the N-word is being used more frequently in public by those who feel it’s acceptable to degrade African Americans. And some still call this President Barack Obama’s post-racial society.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30