PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Karnamaya Mongar survived 20 years in a refugee camp after fleeing war-torn Bhutan, but died months after arriving in the U.S. in 2009 and seeking an abortion.
Mongar, 41, is the subject of one of eight murder counts in the ongoing Philadelphia trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell. Gosnell, an abortion provider, is also charged with killing seven babies allegedly born alive.
Through a translator, Mongar’s daughter testified Tuesday about the labor-inducing drugs and painkillers her mother was given as she waited hours for Gosnell to arrive one night for the second-trimester procedure.
Yashoda Gurung, now 24, had stayed with her mother in a waiting area, and tried to say goodbye before her mother was moved to the procedure room.
“My mom was sleeping. That’s what I thought. I tried to wake her up and the lady said, ‘Leave her alone,’ Gurung told jurors Tuesday, speaking through a translator.
Prosecutors believe Gosnell’s untrained, unlicensed staff gave the 4-foot, 11-inch Mongar a lethal combination of oral and intravenous drugs, and failed to properly monitor her vital signs or attempt to resuscitate her when things went wrong. She was pronounced dead the next day at a hospital.
“They said, ‘I’m sorry. The situation was bad when we got her,'” another relative, Damber Ghalley, testified.
Gosnell’s lawyer, Jack McMahon, has argued that Mongar had unreported respiratory damage and died of unforeseen complications. Mongar was 19 weeks pregnant, well within the 24-week limit in Pennsylvania.
Ghalley, who had waited outside, said he talked to Gosnell as Mongar was being carried out to an ambulance, and Gosnell insisted he had done nothing wrong.
“He said, ‘The procedure was done. Your sister’s heart stopped,'” said Ghalley, who had driven Mongar and her daughter to the clinic from their home in rural Virginia, five hours away.
Clinic employee Sherry West jumped in Ghalley’s car to accompany the family to the hospital. She said everything would be fine, Gurung testified. But the next day, doctors told the family otherwise. Mongar had died.
Ghalley said he saw Gosnell outside the hospital picking up West.
“He said the same thing: The procedure was done. I didn’t do anything wrong. I would be able to answer any person, anywhere,” Ghalley recalled. “He did not express any sympathy.”
On cross-examination, Gurung conceded that the staff had checked on her mother as they sat together in the clinic’s waiting area, and had her blood pressure taken. Prosecutors have alleged during the monthlong trial that no one properly monitored patients at the clinic.
In addition to the murder charges, Gosnell is also charged with violating Pennsylvania abortion law by performing abortions after 24 weeks.
Mongar’s family has a wrongful-death lawsuit pending against Gosnell.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 27
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 27
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 27
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 27
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 27
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 27
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 27
8. new new
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
17 of 27
18 of 27
19. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
19 of 27
20. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
20 of 27
21. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
21 of 27
22. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
22 of 27
23. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
23 of 27
24. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
24 of 27
25. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
25 of 27
26. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27