Have a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
When most people think of cosmetic surgery they think of Botox, facelifts and tummy tucks, but a great deal of cosmetic surgery is designed to address far more serious problems that affect people’s ability to simply look and feel healthy, particularly people who suffer from various types of alopecia and other ailments that cause major hair loss.
After personally experiencing a botched hair transplant surgery, Dr. Sanusi Umar decided to find ways to help others who suffered from major hair loss.
A certified dermatologist, Umar started his career as a surgeon in his native Nigeria. After coming to the U.S., he became a researcher in the field of infectious disease and won a fellowship and an invitation to present at the 1998 International AIDS Conference in Geneva, Switzerland and at the International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa in 2000. He returned to the U.S., completing a residency in dermatology in Los Angeles and currently is on the clinical faculty at UCLA.
When Umar began focusing on hair restoration, he focused his attention on finding alternatives to painful surgery and limitations of traditional treatments for hair replacement. He found that many alternative treatments were still in the developmental stages and were flawed, so he set to work designing a new, minimally invasive, transplant procedure.
It took two years, but Umar reached a breakthrough with his uGraft, a scapel-free, natural replacement, using body hair to conduct hair and eyebrow transplant. Because the procedure is minimally invasive, scarring and recovery time are minimized. The use of body hair also means the number of transplantable hairs is greatly increased and the hair follicles grow in a natural pattern from the first treatment.
“Traditional transplants rely on the available donor supply found on the back and sides of the head. In a good case, this would yield only 7,000-8,000 hairs,” Umar said in a statement. “A severely bald patient would have lost 50,000 hairs to become severely bald. Using only 7,000 hairs to do the job of 50,000 hairs is not a reasonable approach and when done, the result looks unacceptable. Using the uGraft technique that I developed, I am able to add hair from the beard and qualifying body hair to expand the available donor supply considerably, resulting in the credible restoration of these cases which are impossible to restore by any other method today.”
About 80 million adults in the U.S. suffer from hereditary hair loss. Hair grooming practices and disease conditions can result in hair loss, as well as breakage or loss of the hair root.
The first step, he said, is to determine the cause of the hair loss.
“The solution or treatment should target the cause as well as precipitating or aggravating factors. Solutions could range from the use of medications, surgery to changes in hair grooming practices, nutrition, lifestyles, etc.,” Umar said. “In severe cases of hereditary hair loss, credible restoration would require specialized hair transplant surgery that utilizes beard and body hair for a reasonable level of restoration.”
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30