Have a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
When most people think of cosmetic surgery they think of Botox, facelifts and tummy tucks, but a great deal of cosmetic surgery is designed to address far more serious problems that affect people’s ability to simply look and feel healthy, particularly people who suffer from various types of alopecia and other ailments that cause major hair loss.
After personally experiencing a botched hair transplant surgery, Dr. Sanusi Umar decided to find ways to help others who suffered from major hair loss.
A certified dermatologist, Umar started his career as a surgeon in his native Nigeria. After coming to the U.S., he became a researcher in the field of infectious disease and won a fellowship and an invitation to present at the 1998 International AIDS Conference in Geneva, Switzerland and at the International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa in 2000. He returned to the U.S., completing a residency in dermatology in Los Angeles and currently is on the clinical faculty at UCLA.
When Umar began focusing on hair restoration, he focused his attention on finding alternatives to painful surgery and limitations of traditional treatments for hair replacement. He found that many alternative treatments were still in the developmental stages and were flawed, so he set to work designing a new, minimally invasive, transplant procedure.
It took two years, but Umar reached a breakthrough with his uGraft, a scapel-free, natural replacement, using body hair to conduct hair and eyebrow transplant. Because the procedure is minimally invasive, scarring and recovery time are minimized. The use of body hair also means the number of transplantable hairs is greatly increased and the hair follicles grow in a natural pattern from the first treatment.
“Traditional transplants rely on the available donor supply found on the back and sides of the head. In a good case, this would yield only 7,000-8,000 hairs,” Umar said in a statement. “A severely bald patient would have lost 50,000 hairs to become severely bald. Using only 7,000 hairs to do the job of 50,000 hairs is not a reasonable approach and when done, the result looks unacceptable. Using the uGraft technique that I developed, I am able to add hair from the beard and qualifying body hair to expand the available donor supply considerably, resulting in the credible restoration of these cases which are impossible to restore by any other method today.”
About 80 million adults in the U.S. suffer from hereditary hair loss. Hair grooming practices and disease conditions can result in hair loss, as well as breakage or loss of the hair root.
The first step, he said, is to determine the cause of the hair loss.
“The solution or treatment should target the cause as well as precipitating or aggravating factors. Solutions could range from the use of medications, surgery to changes in hair grooming practices, nutrition, lifestyles, etc.,” Umar said. “In severe cases of hereditary hair loss, credible restoration would require specialized hair transplant surgery that utilizes beard and body hair for a reasonable level of restoration.”
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31