This morning I want to talk about something that has become a major part of my and so many other Americans lives. CANCER. Every April the American Cancer Society and other organizations work together to raise awareness about cancer among minorities in honor of National Minority Health Month and this week is National Minority Cancer Awareness Week.
Over 94,000 cancer cases in men and over 82,000 cases in women are expected to be newly diagnosed among African Americans in just this year. Prostate cancer is expected to be the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men, and breast cancer the most common in women. But what is worse is the fact that the data suggests that about 32,900 African American men and 31,900 African American women are expected to die from cancer this year.
Family, many of the cancer cases and deaths could be prevented with the adoption of healthier lifestyles, such as avoiding tobacco products, maintaining a healthy body weight, and being physically active. Simple things. The American Cancer Association recommends 5 things to reduce your risks and increase your chances of winning the fight against it.
1. Get regular screening test
Regular screening tests can catch some cancers early, when they’re more treatable. With a few cancers, these tests can even prevent cancer from developing in the first place. Talk with your doctor about the tests for colon, lung, prostate and breast cancers.
2. Control your weight
3. Exercise regularly
4. Eat Healthy
5. Stop Smoking
For more info hit cancer.org. I know this to be true and believe in fighting this fight because I have been watching my dad fight this disease for nearly a decade. He got prostate cancer, caught is early but still was not able to keep it from spreading. Seven years ago we wee told dad had a year to live, Eight months ago we were told he had 4-6 months to live. And he has been able to be the master cancer combatant because he did 3 things.
1. Communicate early and often with loved ones
2. Be the biggest advocate and researcher for your treatment
3. Remind the doctors that they are all PRACTICING medicine and that GOD determines your last day.
I have not watched my father cheat death. I have watched him choose to live and live hard. I mean this dude went on a job interview two months ago. Because it is part of his fight. Dad you are my hero and your fight against cancer continues to teach me how to live healthy taking advantage of EVERY DAY GOD GIVES. If you know a cancer combatant shout them out at 646464 or hit me at facebook or twitter. Lets spread the message on how to avoid and beat cancer in our community.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 29
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 29
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 29
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 29
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 29
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 29
7. new new
7 of 29
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 29
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 29
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 29
11 of 29
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 29
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 29
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 29
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29