Fred Sommerville of Akron, Ohio is today’s “Real Fathers, Real Men” winner.
Dear Tom Joyner,
I would like to nominate my father, Fred Sommerville as a “Real Father, Real Man.” My father is a handicap veteran from the Korean War. My father stepped on a land mine in the war, which took off half of his right leg. The war took his leg but it did not take his spirit. After he was released from the war he was employed as a custodian until age 55. He raised five good children that have his kind and caring demeanor. I remember him telling me once when his was laid off he took a job in a car wash to help pay his bills. My father raised his children with hard work and common sense. His favorite saying is “god blesses the child that’s got his own” and that was just what my father did. He works hard to have his own. He always told us to “pay yourself first and have good credit to make it in this life.”
At age 82, my father looks and acts much younger than his years. He is up and outside in the summer months doing something. My father helps anyone who asks. He is just a kind and giving person. i went through a bad marriage and my father was right there to help me survive and move on. He has helped me with repairs on my house and cars. I am so blessed to have him in my life and in the lives of others. My father never complains and is always working or doing something. He can’t understand how people can say they are bored when there is always something to do. I look at people begging on the corner and sitting on their behind as their house falling down around them. Then I look at my dad, who raised five children and held down at job being handicap. Our mission on this earth is to serve and you can ask all who know my dad – job well done.
My dad’s birthday is in the month of June and a lot of times his birthday falls on father’s day. God placed him in the month he is most worthy of. We listen to your show every morning. He said that Tom Joyner is a mess. He really enjoys your show and I would be so honored if you would award my dad, Fred Sommerville Jr., the real father, real man.
Thanks for taking the time to read my letter. May God bless you all!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25