Was it blatant racism or a simple misunderstanding that prevented two African American men from traveling in the first class cabin of U.S. Airways while wearing hoodies and jeans?
Two black passengers, Miles and MacCraig Warren, are suing U.S. Airways for racial discrimination after an airline gate agent refused to allow them to travel in first class wearing hoodies and jeans.
The Warrens, who are brothers, were flying home from Denver to Los Angeles after a relative’s funeral last year when they were told that their attire was too casual, asked to remove their baseball caps, and change into button-down shirts, slacks and nicer shoes.
But here’s the catch: When the Warrens boarded the plane, they saw two passengers in first class – a white passenger, Michael Heffernan, and a Filipino passenger, Edward DeLeon, — wearing hoodies and jeans, the same clothing the Warrens were told not they couldn’t wear.
“They were told that this was the policy if you wanted to ride in first class,” lawyer Rodney Diggs told the New York Daily News. “They were very upset when they saw the other two gentlemen sitting right across from them. This is definitely racial discrimination and a violation of their civil rights.”
The Warrens filed a lawsuit in federal court last week, seeking punitive damages for discrimination and emotional distress. They called the experience “humiliating.”
“We welcome customers of all ethnicities and backgrounds and do not tolerate discrimination of any kind. We take these allegations seriously,” U.S. Airways said in a statement. “Employees are aware of the travel policy and required to understand the expectations when utilizing their pass privileges.”
U.S. Airways will likely make the case that the Warrens were traveling on a discounted “buddy pass” and subject to restricted dress codes for “buddy pass” travelers. Heffernan and DeLeon were full-fare paying passengers and, therefore, were not restricted to a dress code.
So why are there separate first-class travel policies for “buddy pass” passengers and full-fare paying passengers? Why can’t “buddy pass” passengers travel in casual attire? Is this a case of racial discriminaton? Or is it just a flawed U.S. Airways travel policy?
Diggs, meanwhile, said his clients were never informed that different policies applied to reduced fare and regular fare passengers.
“If this is a policy, it has to be practiced at all times and not just selectively implemented when they want it to be implemented,” said Diggs.
Still, the person who sold the Warrens the “buddy passes” — presumably a U.S. Airways employee — should have explained the dress code rules to the Warrens before they boarded the plane.
Several airline employees posted comments on ConsumerAffairs.com, a mix of arguments.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25