Highlight: According to the industry respected JD Power and Associates, a data mining company, the Tahoe ranks high in its segment, as it relates to initial quality.
What’s New: With the exception of a few new exterior colors, the Tahoe is a carryover this model year.
City/Hwy Mileage: 15/21
Engine/Horsepower: 5.3-liter eight-cylinder/320-hp
Price Range: $58,400 ($40,825 base LS model)
3 years/36,000 miles (bumper-to-bumper)
5 years/100,000 miles (powertrain)
Standard Safety Features: airbags (front, driver, side and curtain); a tire pressure monitoring system; and a stability control system
Standard Features (LTZ): 20-inch tires, leather seats; power front heated/ventilated seats; memory-controlled driver’s seat; second-row heated bucket seats; third passenger bench seat; a nav system; remote vehicle start; automatic rearview mirror; a heated steering wheel; a/c tri-zone climate system; rear park assist system; heated power outside mirror; running boards; a power adjustable driver’s pedal; a power liftgate; and OnStar
Standard Audio System (LTZ): a 10-speaker Bose AM/FM/CD with XM Satellite radio
Pros: For those looking for the ultimate versatile SUV, the Tahoe is here to answer the call. It’s capable of carrying up to nine occupants, 108.9 cubic feet of cargo, when the second and third rows aren’t in use and towing up to 8,500 pounds. Yes, this SUV does it all. The Tahoe is available in either a rear-wheel drive configuration or an all-wheel drive configuration. Yes, the vehicle is available as a hybrid, too.
In addition to the standard features we noted above, our Tahoe was outfitted with a power sunroof, a rear entertainment DVD system, a heavy duty trailering package and a trailer brake control system.
And, for those who desire to upgrade the Tahoe’s wheel package, a 22-inch inch wheel package is available in either an aluminum or chrome wheel set. Oh yes, there are two must-have features we wish were on our test vehicle: a power-retractable assist step and an electronic blind-spot system. By having this electronic blind-spot system, this will alert the driver of vehicles in its blind-spot, before changing lanes.
Moreover, this vehicle offers a great ride, although it’s based on a truck platform.
Furthermore, while we reviewed a fully loaded LTZ model, there is a more economical LS model, which is available for price-sensitive consumers.
Cons: Sales of fullsize SUVs have fallen drastically over the past decade. Many critics would say that it’s no longer politically-correct to be seen in this mammoth-sized gaz-guzzler. Unlike the car-base crossovers, which are the replacements for truck-based SUVs, fullsize SUVs are difficult to navigate, too. Moreover, in our truck-based SUV, a push-button keyless starter won’t be available, until the next- generation hits the scene.
Verdict: While fullsize SUVs, like the Tahoe, are no longer politically correct in today’s green environment, where ‘carbon footprints’ is the new buzzword. However, there is still a need for the Tahoe due to its versatility and towing ability.
For those who are willing to opt for a fullsize SUV, expect big discounts, since most folks who don’t need the towing capacity can opt for a more fuel-efficient car-based crossover. Furthermore, the Tahoe is based-off the same platform as the Cadillac Escalade. As opposed to paying for the premium priced Cadillac, consumers can opt for the high-end Tahoe LTZ.
Competition: Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, Nissan Armanda and Toyota Sequoia
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him http://twitter.com/#!/JeffCars/.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30