Brooklyn-born Howard grad Chadwick Boseman is a star in the making. The actor best known for his role as Nathaniel “Nate” Ray on the ABC Family Show “Lincoln Heights” has just moved past the rest of the newly minted crop of Black actors with his starring role as Jackie Robinson in “42.” He’s already getting raves for his work co-starring with Harrison Ford as Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey and Nicole Behairie as Rachel Robinson. Boseman talked to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about the pressure of playing an American icon.
SKIP CHEATHAM: I can’t wait to see the new Jackie Robinson movie “42.” We’ve got the star of the movie with us today. Chadwick Boseman, what’s going on?
CHADWICK BOSEMAN: How are you doing?
Skip: Oh, I can’t complain at all. I just can’t wait for your movie, man.
Chadwick: Yeah, it’s been an exciting time, man.
LONI LOVE: Man, you forgot, because, see, he’s a male, you forgot to say the sexy Chadwick. Okay? Because, yeah, yeah, I feel you. I’ve been watching your IMDB, baby. I know what you’re going through.
Chadwick: (Laughs) All right now.
LONI LOVE: Now get ready, after “42” comes out on April 12, you won’t be able to go to the grocery store.
Chadwick: It’s already getting a little crazy.
Loni: What’s happening, tell me…
Chadwick: I just got to wear a hoodie right now. (Laughs) If you want to know why I’m pulling out the hood now…
Skip: 80 degress, he’s got a hoodie on. So first of all was it – when you talk about the figure of Jackie Robinson, what he means, not just in sports, not just in Black history but in American history, how he changed everything, was it a daunting task for you to take on that role?
Chadwick: Yeah, I mean it’s incredible responsibility. At first you celebrate it, obviously. But then you start thinking about what everybody is going to have something to say about it. When someone hears about you doing it, they talk to you like, ooh, that’s heavy. You don’t necessarily know what they mean by that because everybody has their own interpretation of this hero. So I realize that everyone had their own stake in him, I realize that kids would get to know him – they will watch this movie and get to know him based on my performance. So that pressure is there but I think the greatest pressure is from the family. Not to say that they did anything to scare me but Rachel Robinson definitely challenged me in terms of playing the role but I didn’t want to let them down.
Skip: So Jackie Robinson’s widow – she give you some pressure?
Chadwick: Oh, absolutely.
Loni: Was she on the set?
Chadwick: She came to the set, yes. She didn’t come every day. She visited. She consulted even when the script was being written. When I met her, I met her down at their offices of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, on Varick Street. (Editor’s Note: In NYC) You feel like you’re about to meet the Queen. She’s regal. And so the first thing she said to me was if we had made this movie when I wanted to make this movie, Sidney Poitier would have played your role.
Loni: Oh, wow.
Skip: No pressure.
Chadwick: OK, then Denzel was supposed to play it. And now we ended up with you.
Chadwick: So who are you? So that’s just the beginning of the conversation.
Loni: Did she see the finished product of the movie? What did she say afterwards?
Chadwick: I wasn’t with her when she saw the finished product the first time. I saw the movie last week at the White House. But in both cases, told me she was completely satisfied, hugged me, was overjoyed, she told us we did a great job. She said basically that not only did it help her remember the difficult part of that time, it helped her remember the joy of that time. It was the most fulfilling part of this project to see her satisfied with it.
Skip: That’s great. I can’t wait. April 12, the movie opens, “42.”
I also hear you’ve got “The Kill Hole” the story of a man who’s forced to face his violent past. That’s going to be released via DVD and iTunes on April 9th. Congratulations on everything.
Chadwick: Thank you.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31