Brooklyn-born Howard grad Chadwick Boseman is a star in the making. The actor best known for his role as Nathaniel “Nate” Ray on the ABC Family Show “Lincoln Heights” has just moved past the rest of the newly minted crop of Black actors with his starring role as Jackie Robinson in “42.” He’s already getting raves for his work co-starring with Harrison Ford as Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey and Nicole Behairie as Rachel Robinson. Boseman talked to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about the pressure of playing an American icon.
SKIP CHEATHAM: I can’t wait to see the new Jackie Robinson movie “42.” We’ve got the star of the movie with us today. Chadwick Boseman, what’s going on?
CHADWICK BOSEMAN: How are you doing?
Skip: Oh, I can’t complain at all. I just can’t wait for your movie, man.
Chadwick: Yeah, it’s been an exciting time, man.
LONI LOVE: Man, you forgot, because, see, he’s a male, you forgot to say the sexy Chadwick. Okay? Because, yeah, yeah, I feel you. I’ve been watching your IMDB, baby. I know what you’re going through.
Chadwick: (Laughs) All right now.
LONI LOVE: Now get ready, after “42” comes out on April 12, you won’t be able to go to the grocery store.
Chadwick: It’s already getting a little crazy.
Loni: What’s happening, tell me…
Chadwick: I just got to wear a hoodie right now. (Laughs) If you want to know why I’m pulling out the hood now…
Skip: 80 degress, he’s got a hoodie on. So first of all was it – when you talk about the figure of Jackie Robinson, what he means, not just in sports, not just in Black history but in American history, how he changed everything, was it a daunting task for you to take on that role?
Chadwick: Yeah, I mean it’s incredible responsibility. At first you celebrate it, obviously. But then you start thinking about what everybody is going to have something to say about it. When someone hears about you doing it, they talk to you like, ooh, that’s heavy. You don’t necessarily know what they mean by that because everybody has their own interpretation of this hero. So I realize that everyone had their own stake in him, I realize that kids would get to know him – they will watch this movie and get to know him based on my performance. So that pressure is there but I think the greatest pressure is from the family. Not to say that they did anything to scare me but Rachel Robinson definitely challenged me in terms of playing the role but I didn’t want to let them down.
Skip: So Jackie Robinson’s widow – she give you some pressure?
Chadwick: Oh, absolutely.
Loni: Was she on the set?
Chadwick: She came to the set, yes. She didn’t come every day. She visited. She consulted even when the script was being written. When I met her, I met her down at their offices of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, on Varick Street. (Editor’s Note: In NYC) You feel like you’re about to meet the Queen. She’s regal. And so the first thing she said to me was if we had made this movie when I wanted to make this movie, Sidney Poitier would have played your role.
Loni: Oh, wow.
Skip: No pressure.
Chadwick: OK, then Denzel was supposed to play it. And now we ended up with you.
Chadwick: So who are you? So that’s just the beginning of the conversation.
Loni: Did she see the finished product of the movie? What did she say afterwards?
Chadwick: I wasn’t with her when she saw the finished product the first time. I saw the movie last week at the White House. But in both cases, told me she was completely satisfied, hugged me, was overjoyed, she told us we did a great job. She said basically that not only did it help her remember the difficult part of that time, it helped her remember the joy of that time. It was the most fulfilling part of this project to see her satisfied with it.
Skip: That’s great. I can’t wait. April 12, the movie opens, “42.”
I also hear you’ve got “The Kill Hole” the story of a man who’s forced to face his violent past. That’s going to be released via DVD and iTunes on April 9th. Congratulations on everything.
Chadwick: Thank you.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 28
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 28
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 28
11 of 28
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 28
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 28
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 28
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 28
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 28
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 28
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
21 of 28
22. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
22 of 28
23. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28