“In 1963, more than a quarter-million people came together in Washington, DC for The Great March for Jobs and Freedom, a watershed moment in black history. As we commemorate the 50th Anniversary of this event and reflect on the progress we’ve made toward economic equality, we are faced with the sobering truth that—while much has been achieved—so much more needs to be done.” – Marc H. Morial, President & CEO, National Urban League
For Marc Morial, one of the most pressing issues facing African Americans in 2013 is the widening wealth gap between blacks and whites.
“These conditions have not changed,” Morial said in an interview with BlackAmericaWeb.com.
On Wednesday, Morial will release the National Urban League’s annual State of Black America report, “Redeem the Dream,” which will outline in detail the economic challenges confronting black Americans 50 years after Dr. Martin Luther King’s historic March on Washington.
While Morial said there are more black high school graduates than 50 years ago, and less black people living in poverty than in 1963, the wealth gap between blacks and whites remains a critical problem in the fight for economic parity.
“In this report,” Morial said, “we also offer solutions.”
The solutions include a five-year initiative to expand job training programs, lobbying Congress to enact social justice legislation, and working closer with the NAACP, black pastors, and Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network to help improve the quality of life for black people.
“We’re working with this generation’s civil rights leaders to inspire and empower the black community,” Morial said. “We’re not sitting on the sidelines.”
Morial said the 37th edition of the State of Black America, Redeem the Dream: Jobs Rebuild America also commemorates the milestones that have occurred in black history in the 50 years since the height of the civil rights movement.
This year’s publication features essays by an esteemed group of leaders from leading corporations, not-for-profit organizations, academia and news media, as well as members of the president’s cabinet and federal lawmakers. The State of Black America, Redeem the Dream: Jobs Rebuild America also includes a commemorative Special Collection of essays that pay homage to the early freedom fighters in the civil rights movement.
This Special Collection includes reflections from Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), and Congressional Black Caucus Chair Marcia Fudge (D-OH).
In addition to the State of the Black Union report, the Urban League, earlier this year, announced a two-pronged initiative that includes a series of public and private investments totaling more than $70 million over the next five years. Existing programs will be supplemented and new programs created, reaching thousands of job-seekers, youth and entrepreneurs, and putting urban America back to work.
The second component of the initiative is an aggressive grassroots advocacy campaign focused on federal legislative action to create permanent pathways to employment for at-risk teenagers and young adults.
“Throughout the Great Recession, our network of nearly 100 affiliates has served as economic first responders for communities devastated by job loss,” Morial said. “Urban League affiliates have a solid track record of success in creating economic opportunity and preparing people to take advantage of those opportunities. We’ve worked very closely with our partners in the private sector and in the federal government to maximize resources and mobilize the strength of our collaborative efforts.”
The expansion comes as part of the National Urban League’s ongoing “War on Unemployment” launched in 2011, which included the release of a 12-Point Plan: Putting Urban America Back to Work, and a nationwide jobs tour.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31