Writer/producer/director Reginald Hudlin has had his own success as a filmmaker with movies like “House Party” and “Boomerang.” But these days, he’s also celebrating his work as a producer on “Django Unchained,” the Oscar-winning movie starring Jamie Foxx directed by Quentin Tarantino. Hudlin joins only three other African-Americans to be nominated or included in a nomination for Best Picture. Years ago, Hudlin and his good friend Tarantino had a conversation about slavery movies where Hudlin expressed his dissatisfaction with ones that he’s seen.
“Over a decade ago, Quentin and I were talking about movies about slavery and I brought up my frustration with most of them,” Hudlin told Ebony.com. “I had no interest in seeing yet another movie about noble suffering. I wanted to see foot to ass. There were all kinds of Black people who stood up and fought back, including members of my own family. I wanted to see stories about them.” Ten years later, Tarantino showed Hudlin the script for “Django” and brought him aboard as a producer. Hudlin will be on The Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise taking place this year April 7-14 and is screening “Django Unchained’ on board the ship. He talked to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about his work on the film.
TOM JOYNER: Reggie Hudlin, my man
REGINALD HUDLIN: Yes, sir! How you doin”?
Tom: Doing good, man. Thanks for bringing the movie on the ship, “Django Unchained.”
Reggie: I’m happy to do so. Can’t wait to be there.
J. ANTHONY BROWN: You ain’t sending it. You don’t trust these Negroes.
SYBIL WILKES: Never out of your sight.
Tom: When you did Django with Quentin Tarantino, did you know there was going to be some controversy about how many times the “N” word was used in the movie? That it was coming from Tarantino?
Sybil: Did you anticipate that?
Reggie: We knew the movie was going to be controversial period. When it comes to the topic of slavery, we as a people are conflicted about how we feel about it. When we look at the Jewish community, they’re very clear when it comes to the painful parts of their heritage, like the Holocaust. Their attitude is “Never Forget.” We’re like, we can’t wait to forget. Their strategy seems to be working for them better than ours is working for us.
Tom Joyner: Why didn’t you just call the movie “The Nat Turner Story?” You didn’t think that would sell?
Reggie: The fact is, he, Quentin wanted to make it a western, which I thought was clever. Because when you say slavery people say I don’t want to see that, that’s going to be depressing. But when you say it’s a western, well, you know what happens in a western. You know the good guys are going to win and the bad guys are going to get punched, which is what happens in “Django.”
Tom: Because if you did a slave movie, like Nat Turner, Django has to die.
Reggie: That’s correct. I do not want any symbolic victories. I want victory victories.
Tom: And besides, are you already planning on Part 2?
Reggie: Well, you know, Quentin does not typically do sequels to his films.
Sybil: “Kill Bill 2 and 3?”
Reggie: Well, “Kill Bill” was actually supposed to be one movie. It was just so long, they cut it into two parts.
Reggie: But that said, if he changed his mind and decided to make another Django movie, I think thare’d be widespread support for that. So we’ll see what he decides to do.
Tom: I’m dressing up, we’re all dressing up as characters in the movie “Django,” Reggie.
Reggie: I heard. Now which character are you going to play?
Tom: I don’t like this, I don’t like this. Chris Paul is Big Daddy. I’m Candy. I’m DiCaprio. I’m a mean white man and I don’t like that. I don’t like that.
J. Anthony Brown: That’s typecasting.
Tom: Guess who casted all of us in the “Django” costumes?
Reggie: Of course.
Sybil: Of course, exactly.
J.Anthony Brown: You know who I am, right? Samuel L. Jackson. Which I had a problem with the movie. The only problem I had was he didn’t ham it up enough. (Laughter). There was no hambone (Laughter).
Tom: Well, thanks Reggie for coming on the show and showing the movie.
Reggie: All right man, my pleasure.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30