Well guys, Women’s History Month is about over. So I’m going to celebrate it one more time by talking about one lady who’s been getting a lot of press lately.
Let me start by telling some of her unique and compelling story and I’m sure you’ll figure out who she is…
In August of 1970, 17-year-old Jonathan Jackson engineered the kidnapping of a superior court judge, an assistant district attorney and three jurors in open court in San Rafael, CA.
He demanded the release of his brother, famous and politically-outspoken inmate George Jackson and the group known as the Soledad Brothers.
During the episode, Jonathan managed to provide arms to three San Quentin inmates who were on trial at the time… The resulting shootout claimed the lives of Jonathan, two of the inmates, and the judge, and left the assistant district attorney badly wounded.
Since Jonathan also acted as bodyguard for his brother George’s close friend, a UCLA professor and well-known activist by the name of Angela Davis, it was soon reported that a number of the guns purchased in the shooting were registered to Davis.
Wanted by police, Davis fled California disguised in wigs as a national manhunt –or womanhunt–ensued. She fled from LA to Chicago, and then to Miami before the FBI finally arrested her on October 13, 1970.
Davis was charged with murder for her alleged part in the incident and, after spending 18 months in jail and receiving an international groundswell of support, she was acquitted.
Before, during, and after her incredible and historic ordeal, Davis never stopped speaking out on women’s rights or civil rights. She continues to do so today as a professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
And thankfully her story is now coming to the Big Screen.
Free Angela and All Political Prisoners is the name of the new documentary to be released on April 5th and there are black women in power positions all over this film.
Not only is it based on a black woman, but Jada Pinkett Smith is an executive producer of the movie and award-winning African American director Shola Lynch is the filmmaker. These sisters are doing it.
And the point that emerges through all of this–is, as women, we have the power to define who we are despite the challenges and obstacles placed in our path.
We shape our own identity.
And what better way to close out Women’s History Month than with words from Angela Davis herself.
“I think the importance of doing activist work is precisely because it allows you to give back and to consider yourself not as a single individual who may have achieved whatever, but to be a part of an ongoing historical movement. “
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30