It was a scratchy throat that wouldn’t clear up that sent Christopher Green to the doctor.
He was surprised, though, when he was told that instead of an allergy or virus of some kind that he had type 2 diabetes.
“I know that it runs in the family but previous doctors all said I was in good shape, just needed to shed a few pounds and watch cholesterol, the normal stuff,” said Green, who was diagnosed last year.
Fortunately for Green, now 28, who holds down a full-time job as consumer security tech in Clearwater, Florida, and attends classes full time at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, he is controlling his diabetes with diet and exercise.
“As much as possible, I take a bike to work. I walk around the office and I’m joining a gym” located near his office that offers a discount to company employees.
Green said he takes medication daily for high blood pressure and cholesterol, is cutting back on fast food, packs meals for school and work, keeps protein bars in his backpack in case of emergency, eats smaller portions and uses cookbooks that focus on meals for diabetics – including gluten-free recipes.
He also checks his blood sugar levels twice a day. His health insurance pays for the glucose meter and strips.
“It’s a challenge, but you’ve got to do it.”
Green’s doctor told him if he gets his weight down, exercises regularly and maintains a healthy diet, he may well be able to get off medication entirely.
Being alert to changes in his health and consulting with his physician made a big difference for Green.
The American Diabetes Association wants more Americans, especially black Americans, to become more aware of how to prevent and control the disease.
The association’s Alert Day, which is held every fourth Tuesday in March, is a one-day “wake-up call” asking the public to take the Diabetes Risk Test to find out if they are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
According to the Diabetes Association, nearly 26 million children and adults in the U.S. have the disease and nearly 7 million of them don’t know it. In addition, another 79 million, or one in three American adults, have pre-diabetes, which puts them at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
Diagnosis comes late to many people, as much as 7 to 10 years after the onset of the disease, usually after a health crisis, like a stroke, a diagnosis of heart disease or loss of vision.
People at high risk include those who are overweight, live a sedentary lifestyle and are over the age of 45. African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and people who have a family history of the disease also are at an increased risk for type 2 diabetes.
Research has shown, however, that diabetes can be prevented by losing as little as 7 percent of their body weight (i.e., 15 pounds for someone who weighs 200 pounds), eating better and exercising just 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
“You just make yourself do it,” Green said about having the tools at your disposal to improve your health. “You can have it all, but if you don’t use it, there’s a price to pay.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30