One of the courses I teach at the Law School is a course on race and when dealing with issues of race among students from diverse backgrounds, you never know what might happen and that’s okay, because it’s all good, as long as people are being sincere about what they know or what they don’t know.
That said, sincerity on issues of race was certainly not on display at the recent Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach, CPAC, as it’s called, is the largest annual gathering of right-leaning activists, and an event commonly attended by top Republican presidential contenders.
I’m sure that many of you’ve seen the controversial clips from the CPAC meeting where, during a presentation entitled “Trump the Race Card” by African American presenter, K. Carl Smith, the room was disrupted by statements from a white separatist, Scott Terry.
Terry asked a question to which presenter Smith answered by referencing a letter where Douglass forgave his former slave master.
Terry then questioned the need for forgiveness, responding, “For what? For feeding him and housing him…?” Several audience members cheered, yep.
The disruptions continued and, at one point, when a woman challenged Terry, he responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”
Wow, I don’t know about y’all, but I’m booking my spot early for next year’s CPAC. Maybe I’ll get the 3/5th of a human discount.
But it gets worse. After the event, presenter Smith released a statement where he first criticized a black female reporter for asking him how many black women were at the 1848 Women’s Rights Convention he was discussing. Smith called the question quote-unquote, “intentionally disruptive and coercive with no way of creating a positive dialogue.”
He then acknowledges the disruptive comments of the white separatist Scott Terry before going on to offer this silly response: “I further explained to him the Frederick Douglass Republican Message which he embraced, bought a book, and we left as friends.”
Mmmm, so Brotha Smith felt the need to attack the sista who questioned him, but clarify his friendship with the white separatist who is okay with slavery and subjugating women.
You know, guys, I don’t even know if I have a point this week, this thing just fascinated me.
Or, maybe I do have a point. Since Brother Smith is committed to celebrating the Republican party of longgggggggggg ago as the party responsible for ending slavery, I’m sure he may find special meaning in these words of Abraham Lincoln:
“It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25