One of the courses I teach at the Law School is a course on race and when dealing with issues of race among students from diverse backgrounds, you never know what might happen and that’s okay, because it’s all good, as long as people are being sincere about what they know or what they don’t know.
That said, sincerity on issues of race was certainly not on display at the recent Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach, CPAC, as it’s called, is the largest annual gathering of right-leaning activists, and an event commonly attended by top Republican presidential contenders.
I’m sure that many of you’ve seen the controversial clips from the CPAC meeting where, during a presentation entitled “Trump the Race Card” by African American presenter, K. Carl Smith, the room was disrupted by statements from a white separatist, Scott Terry.
Terry asked a question to which presenter Smith answered by referencing a letter where Douglass forgave his former slave master.
Terry then questioned the need for forgiveness, responding, “For what? For feeding him and housing him…?” Several audience members cheered, yep.
The disruptions continued and, at one point, when a woman challenged Terry, he responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”
Wow, I don’t know about y’all, but I’m booking my spot early for next year’s CPAC. Maybe I’ll get the 3/5th of a human discount.
But it gets worse. After the event, presenter Smith released a statement where he first criticized a black female reporter for asking him how many black women were at the 1848 Women’s Rights Convention he was discussing. Smith called the question quote-unquote, “intentionally disruptive and coercive with no way of creating a positive dialogue.”
He then acknowledges the disruptive comments of the white separatist Scott Terry before going on to offer this silly response: “I further explained to him the Frederick Douglass Republican Message which he embraced, bought a book, and we left as friends.”
Mmmm, so Brotha Smith felt the need to attack the sista who questioned him, but clarify his friendship with the white separatist who is okay with slavery and subjugating women.
You know, guys, I don’t even know if I have a point this week, this thing just fascinated me.
Or, maybe I do have a point. Since Brother Smith is committed to celebrating the Republican party of longgggggggggg ago as the party responsible for ending slavery, I’m sure he may find special meaning in these words of Abraham Lincoln:
“It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30