“Bow Down Bitches/I Been On” is the name of Beyonce’s new single that has everybody talking, blogging, and tweeting. Has the March “Vogue” magazine cover girl hailed as “Queen B” gone too far?
A lot of people think so.
“Beyonce sabotages her female empowerment efforts with Bow Down,” declares a tweet from The Washington Post.
A similar opinion is expressed in Madame Noire, a black women’s lifestyle guide. “Truthfully, I would have expected this type of track from a younger Bey; not a 31-year-old new mother working on her fifth solo album.”
And this from Keyshia Cole: “Can’t stand when people all self righteous when it’s convenient it makes them look good. Lmao.”
So, is it really that deep or have Mr. and Mrs. Carter just found yet another brilliant way to keep people talking about Beyonce?
Since January she’s sung the National Anthem at the president’s inauguration, performed at the Super Bowl, won a Grammy, was interviewed on “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” directed her own HBO documentary and now she punctuates Women’s History Month with a new single aimed directly at her haters.
Women are often criticized for not being able to support other successful sisters. We may see it in our personal or professional lives but the stereotypes run rampant in the media, thanks to reality shows and other popular tv shows like “American Idol” that has built its new season on the feud between Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.
Usually though when shade is being thrown it originates from the bottom. Why throw shade when you’re at the top?
I think the golden opportunity that Beyonce has to empower her peers, help expose up-and-coming entertainers and be a role model for a younger generation has been tainted.
But is it worth the energy of being offended, especially if the only reason we’re offended is because we’re being told we should be? Similar to the Terrence Howard remark about Oprah’s “Tig ol’ Bitties” could at be that the people we’re most concerned about are not upset at all?
I talked to a 16-year-old girl who is one of Beyonce’s biggest fans and she isn’t fazed at all by the lyrics. “It’s just a song. I don’t think she’s talking to me. I don’t think she’s talking to anybody in particular.”
My response: But weren’t you surprised to hear the words come of Beyonce’s mouth?
“Kind of,” she says. “Especially since she’s a mom and because Jay-Z said he wasn’t going to use the B-word anymore. But I think when women call other women the B-word it’s different than when a man does. It just another word for ‘girls.’”
What I got most out of the conversation with this teen is that if you already know who you are, you don’t allow yourself to be defined by others.
But what about the girls and women who don’t think as highly of themselves? Who’s responsibility is it build them up?
Because you’re either for the sisters or you’re not.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31