“Bow Down Bitches/I Been On” is the name of Beyonce’s new single that has everybody talking, blogging, and tweeting. Has the March “Vogue” magazine cover girl hailed as “Queen B” gone too far?
A lot of people think so.
“Beyonce sabotages her female empowerment efforts with Bow Down,” declares a tweet from The Washington Post.
A similar opinion is expressed in Madame Noire, a black women’s lifestyle guide. “Truthfully, I would have expected this type of track from a younger Bey; not a 31-year-old new mother working on her fifth solo album.”
And this from Keyshia Cole: “Can’t stand when people all self righteous when it’s convenient it makes them look good. Lmao.”
So, is it really that deep or have Mr. and Mrs. Carter just found yet another brilliant way to keep people talking about Beyonce?
Since January she’s sung the National Anthem at the president’s inauguration, performed at the Super Bowl, won a Grammy, was interviewed on “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” directed her own HBO documentary and now she punctuates Women’s History Month with a new single aimed directly at her haters.
Women are often criticized for not being able to support other successful sisters. We may see it in our personal or professional lives but the stereotypes run rampant in the media, thanks to reality shows and other popular tv shows like “American Idol” that has built its new season on the feud between Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.
Usually though when shade is being thrown it originates from the bottom. Why throw shade when you’re at the top?
I think the golden opportunity that Beyonce has to empower her peers, help expose up-and-coming entertainers and be a role model for a younger generation has been tainted.
But is it worth the energy of being offended, especially if the only reason we’re offended is because we’re being told we should be? Similar to the Terrence Howard remark about Oprah’s “Tig ol’ Bitties” could at be that the people we’re most concerned about are not upset at all?
I talked to a 16-year-old girl who is one of Beyonce’s biggest fans and she isn’t fazed at all by the lyrics. “It’s just a song. I don’t think she’s talking to me. I don’t think she’s talking to anybody in particular.”
My response: But weren’t you surprised to hear the words come of Beyonce’s mouth?
“Kind of,” she says. “Especially since she’s a mom and because Jay-Z said he wasn’t going to use the B-word anymore. But I think when women call other women the B-word it’s different than when a man does. It just another word for ‘girls.’”
What I got most out of the conversation with this teen is that if you already know who you are, you don’t allow yourself to be defined by others.
But what about the girls and women who don’t think as highly of themselves? Who’s responsibility is it build them up?
Because you’re either for the sisters or you’re not.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30