Have a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
When you have a medical emergency you may sometimes feel your problem is exacerbated by the long waits in the emergency room.
Unless you have a life-threatening wound or allergic reaction, an ER visit can take hours and the chaos around you can make a hospital seem like a scary rather than a healing place.
However, Dr. Myiesha Taylor, a Texas-based, board certified emergency medicine physician specialist and a fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians, said there are several things you can do to improve your experience in the emergency room.
In an article for Atlanta Black Star, Taylor wrote that whenever possible, patients should try to time ER visits for around 4 a.m. or after 7 a.m. Things begin to slow down before dawn, but can get chaotic around 7 a.m., when most hospitals experience shift changes. Fridays during the day also tend to be better than waiting until the weekend.
It is always good to have a copy of your complete medical history and a list of all the medications and supplements you take, especially when you are traveling. It helps emergency room doctors and nurses to act quickly and efficiently if they can quickly size up your condition and know what medicines to administer or avoid. It also helps the doctor to fully consider all the possible emergency conditions that may exist based on your current complaint.
The emergency room is not a normal business situation, so understand that the medical staff is extremely busy and working under great stress. Being kind and polite and working to keep the environment calm is in everyone’s best interest.
Even though you are in a hospital, the ER does not always have the full array of blood tests, examinations or specialists on hand to diagnose and treat chronic illnesses. The emergency room really should not be a substitute for a doctor’s office. If your problem is not life-threatening, schedule an appointment with your regular physician or ask for a referral.
Taylor is far more than an ER specialist and her reach is global. She is president and founder of Artemis Medical Society, an international support group for women physicians of color. Artemis has nearly 2,500 members with representation in every major American city, and extends to South Africa, the United Kingdom, Italy, and the Caribbean.
Taylor is also a Doc McStuffins. Taylor and a group of black women physicians were the subjects of mini-profiles linked to the popular African American Disney character, Doc McStuffins, a little girl who aspires to be a doctor and “practices” on her toys.
Inspired by her grandmother and mother, both nurses, Taylor said she always wanted to help people protect their health.
“I know that I would not be a physician today if it was not for them,” she told Fort Worth Business Press, when she was named one of the Great Women of Texas 2012. “Both my grandmother and mother demonstrated great courage throughout their lives and instilled in me the understanding that we can overcome any circumstance that may appear throughout our lives.”
Click here for answers to your questions about the ER.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31