Have a question for the doctor? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
When you have a medical emergency you may sometimes feel your problem is exacerbated by the long waits in the emergency room.
Unless you have a life-threatening wound or allergic reaction, an ER visit can take hours and the chaos around you can make a hospital seem like a scary rather than a healing place.
However, Dr. Myiesha Taylor, a Texas-based, board certified emergency medicine physician specialist and a fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians, said there are several things you can do to improve your experience in the emergency room.
In an article for Atlanta Black Star, Taylor wrote that whenever possible, patients should try to time ER visits for around 4 a.m. or after 7 a.m. Things begin to slow down before dawn, but can get chaotic around 7 a.m., when most hospitals experience shift changes. Fridays during the day also tend to be better than waiting until the weekend.
It is always good to have a copy of your complete medical history and a list of all the medications and supplements you take, especially when you are traveling. It helps emergency room doctors and nurses to act quickly and efficiently if they can quickly size up your condition and know what medicines to administer or avoid. It also helps the doctor to fully consider all the possible emergency conditions that may exist based on your current complaint.
The emergency room is not a normal business situation, so understand that the medical staff is extremely busy and working under great stress. Being kind and polite and working to keep the environment calm is in everyone’s best interest.
Even though you are in a hospital, the ER does not always have the full array of blood tests, examinations or specialists on hand to diagnose and treat chronic illnesses. The emergency room really should not be a substitute for a doctor’s office. If your problem is not life-threatening, schedule an appointment with your regular physician or ask for a referral.
Taylor is far more than an ER specialist and her reach is global. She is president and founder of Artemis Medical Society, an international support group for women physicians of color. Artemis has nearly 2,500 members with representation in every major American city, and extends to South Africa, the United Kingdom, Italy, and the Caribbean.
Taylor is also a Doc McStuffins. Taylor and a group of black women physicians were the subjects of mini-profiles linked to the popular African American Disney character, Doc McStuffins, a little girl who aspires to be a doctor and “practices” on her toys.
Inspired by her grandmother and mother, both nurses, Taylor said she always wanted to help people protect their health.
“I know that I would not be a physician today if it was not for them,” she told Fort Worth Business Press, when she was named one of the Great Women of Texas 2012. “Both my grandmother and mother demonstrated great courage throughout their lives and instilled in me the understanding that we can overcome any circumstance that may appear throughout our lives.”
Click here for answers to your questions about the ER.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30