Ben Carson, the world-renowned African American neurosurgeon, could be the new black face of the Republican Party.
Considered a rising star in the conservative movement, Carson has implied that he’s open to running for president and proved he certainly isn’t shy about criticizing President Barack Obama.
Carson, 61, who grew up in Detroit, says Obama is dangerously divisive.
“Let’s say somebody were [in the White House] and they wanted to destroy this nation,” Carson said during last month’s National Prayer Breakfast. “I would create division among the people, encourage a culture of ridicule for basic morality and the principles that made and sustained the country, undermine the financial stability of the nation, and weaken and destroy the military. It appears coincidentally that those are the very things that are happening right now.”
And this past weekend, during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference, Carson received a standing ovation after he speculated about what could happen “if you magically put me in the White House.”
Republicans can hardly contain their excitement about Carson mentioning the “White House” at a political confab.
I don’t have a problem with Carson jumping into politics. And I don’t have a problem with Carson running for president as a Republican if he plans to call out Republican leaders for being racially insensitive, racially divisive, and unresponsive to minority voters.
If Carson seriously intends to run for the highest office in the land, then he should be honest about the Republican Party and shake up the party by telling the truth.
But when Carson told conservatives that the Affordable Care Act should be dismantled; and that wealthy Americans have always given back; and that people are not going hungry on the streets, that government social programs are providing for them, his rhetoric sounded like it came straight out the Republican political playbook.
And Carson didn’t stop there. He also took aim at blacks who chastised him for criticizing Obama.
“When did we reach a point where you have to have a certain philosophy because of the color of your skin?” Carson asked.
Carson is a brilliant neurosurgeon and could possibly become a brilliant politician, but even with the best of intentions, Carson would have an uphill battle changing the entrenched mindset of some bigoted Republicans who refuse to acknowledge America’s rapidly changing racial demographics.
Perhaps it’s no coincidence that Carson is flirting with Republican politics at a time when Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced that Republicans plan to spend $10 million this year on a campaign to reach out to black and Hispanic voters.
“We’re going to be announcing a $10 million initiative just this year and it will include hundreds of people, paid across the country, from coast-to-coast, in Hispanic and African American, Asian communities, talking about our party, talking about our brand, talking about what we believe in,” Priebus said Sunday on “Face the Nation.”
“We have become a party that parachutes into communities four months before an election,” said Priebus. “In comparison to the other side, the Obama campaign lived in these communities for years. The relationships were deep, they were authentic.”
Does this speech-making sound familiar? It should. Republicans always talk about minority outreach after they get a political beat down.
But Carson is a Republican’s dream candidate: He grew up in poverty but became one of the world’s most celebrated pediatric neurosurgeons.
And he’s black.
It doesn’t matter if Carson runs for president in 2016 because he’s already emerging as a powerful voice in the Republican Party and says he’s impressed with Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, an ultra-conservative and Tea Party favorite.
I just hope Carson uses his voice to push for racial inclusion within the GOP instead of simply going along to get along.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30