Ben Carson, the world-renowned African American neurosurgeon, could be the new black face of the Republican Party.
Considered a rising star in the conservative movement, Carson has implied that he’s open to running for president and proved he certainly isn’t shy about criticizing President Barack Obama.
Carson, 61, who grew up in Detroit, says Obama is dangerously divisive.
“Let’s say somebody were [in the White House] and they wanted to destroy this nation,” Carson said during last month’s National Prayer Breakfast. “I would create division among the people, encourage a culture of ridicule for basic morality and the principles that made and sustained the country, undermine the financial stability of the nation, and weaken and destroy the military. It appears coincidentally that those are the very things that are happening right now.”
And this past weekend, during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference, Carson received a standing ovation after he speculated about what could happen “if you magically put me in the White House.”
Republicans can hardly contain their excitement about Carson mentioning the “White House” at a political confab.
I don’t have a problem with Carson jumping into politics. And I don’t have a problem with Carson running for president as a Republican if he plans to call out Republican leaders for being racially insensitive, racially divisive, and unresponsive to minority voters.
If Carson seriously intends to run for the highest office in the land, then he should be honest about the Republican Party and shake up the party by telling the truth.
But when Carson told conservatives that the Affordable Care Act should be dismantled; and that wealthy Americans have always given back; and that people are not going hungry on the streets, that government social programs are providing for them, his rhetoric sounded like it came straight out the Republican political playbook.
And Carson didn’t stop there. He also took aim at blacks who chastised him for criticizing Obama.
“When did we reach a point where you have to have a certain philosophy because of the color of your skin?” Carson asked.
Carson is a brilliant neurosurgeon and could possibly become a brilliant politician, but even with the best of intentions, Carson would have an uphill battle changing the entrenched mindset of some bigoted Republicans who refuse to acknowledge America’s rapidly changing racial demographics.
Perhaps it’s no coincidence that Carson is flirting with Republican politics at a time when Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced that Republicans plan to spend $10 million this year on a campaign to reach out to black and Hispanic voters.
“We’re going to be announcing a $10 million initiative just this year and it will include hundreds of people, paid across the country, from coast-to-coast, in Hispanic and African American, Asian communities, talking about our party, talking about our brand, talking about what we believe in,” Priebus said Sunday on “Face the Nation.”
“We have become a party that parachutes into communities four months before an election,” said Priebus. “In comparison to the other side, the Obama campaign lived in these communities for years. The relationships were deep, they were authentic.”
Does this speech-making sound familiar? It should. Republicans always talk about minority outreach after they get a political beat down.
But Carson is a Republican’s dream candidate: He grew up in poverty but became one of the world’s most celebrated pediatric neurosurgeons.
And he’s black.
It doesn’t matter if Carson runs for president in 2016 because he’s already emerging as a powerful voice in the Republican Party and says he’s impressed with Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, an ultra-conservative and Tea Party favorite.
I just hope Carson uses his voice to push for racial inclusion within the GOP instead of simply going along to get along.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31