Dr. Asa Greenwood Yancey was the first black faculty member at Emory University’s medical school. In the early 1940’s, Dr. Yancey studied at Freedmen’s Hospital at Howard University under Dr. Charles Drew, an African American surgeon who created the blood bank concept.
Dr. Yancey was born in Atlanta, Ga. and attended Booker T. Washington High School. The class valedictorian attended Morehouse College then University of Michigan to obtain his M.D. Dr. Yancey then served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps as First Lieutenant.
Dr.Yancey left the army to work as chief of surgery at Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital in 1948. The esteemed physician later integrated the faculty at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta and was named Medical Director of Grady’s Hughes Spalding Pavilion in 1958. Only six years later, Dr. Yancey joined the faculty at Emory Medical School as the first black chief of surgery. While working at Emory he not only created the hospital’s first cardiology center but he also devoted himself to the creation of a program for aspiring black doctors.
Dr. Yancey served on the Atlanta School Board for 10 years and later as associate dean at Emory University Medical School where he would be named Professor Emeritus. He retired in 1989.
In his personal life, Dr. Yancey and his wife Carolyn raised four children: Arthur Yancey II, M.D., Caren Yancey-Covington (deceased), Carolyn Yancey, M.D. and Asa G. Yancey Jr., M.D. Three of the four children became physicians.
Dr. Asa Yancey passed away on Saturday, March 9, 2013. He was 96 years old. His legacy is left in his autobiography entitled “Interpositionalification: What the Negro May Expect.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25