Blogs don’t write, people write them.
That makes about as much sense as that old NRA line “Guns don’t kill, people do.”
With all the gun violence happening almost daily in our community and other places as well, it’s time to start making sense. The NRA and many of those who are supporters have a slick way of always sticking to their talking points, no matter what questions are asked. There’s something to be said for persistence, but for us to make any type of move toward making laws safer for citizens; there needs to be action. So, I’m going to skip right past their rhetoric about trying to take away citizens’ right to bear arms and that new laws will protect the criminals and punish the good guys; because that’s just not the case.
We have a mantra around here that’s goes “follow the money.” Usually when a solution that seems simple isn’t addressed you can look deeper and you’ll discover that someone is being paid to either make it happen or keep it from happening.
In this case, the NRA and others who benefit from the sale of guns have no intention of making changes that will have an impact on their bottom line. The more guns being sold, the more money they make. The more money they make, the more they have to spend lobbying politicians to make sure that there are no real changes in the gun laws.
The bottom line in my opinion should be human life. If lives are being lost because of high-powered assault weapons then I say get rid of the high –powered assault weapons or a least make them extremely difficult to purchase.
But instead they want to add guns going so far as to say teachers in the class rooms should be armed.
We can’t even depend on some teachers to refrain from having sex with their teenage students, now we want to put guns in their hands. A break up between the algebra teacher and 9th grade Timmy could get very ugly!
Last week the NRA spokesman said Black people need more guns. This time instead of following the money, let’s follow the racism. There are only two reasons he wants black to have more guns…1.to encourage black on black crime and 2. because the majority of gun violence perpetuated by Black people happens in black cites and neighborhoods. Not their hood not their problem, right?
And that’s why we…the people are most likely to be victims of shootings. We should be protesting the loudest about gun reform.
Let’s face it, the lobbyist, manufacturers, politicians and others who are getting fat wallets from the sales of guns are counting on the fact that neither they or any of their family members will ever be shot. The odds are probably in their favor.
All you have to do is read an urban newspaper and you’ll see that we aren’t as lucky.
Meanwhile, as the debate goes on, gun sales are off the chain. Many of the purchasers are reacting to the messages from right wing media, including Christian radio, that President Obama is coming for their guns. So combine the fact that we already have a track record of the Stand Your Ground Law working against us; we also have angry, gun-toting people ready to wage a war because they think the President is after their guns.
Sorry to say this, but it is becoming more and more dangerous to be black in America… or anywhere. Let’s get these guns off the streets!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25