Blogs don’t write, people write them.
That makes about as much sense as that old NRA line “Guns don’t kill, people do.”
With all the gun violence happening almost daily in our community and other places as well, it’s time to start making sense. The NRA and many of those who are supporters have a slick way of always sticking to their talking points, no matter what questions are asked. There’s something to be said for persistence, but for us to make any type of move toward making laws safer for citizens; there needs to be action. So, I’m going to skip right past their rhetoric about trying to take away citizens’ right to bear arms and that new laws will protect the criminals and punish the good guys; because that’s just not the case.
We have a mantra around here that’s goes “follow the money.” Usually when a solution that seems simple isn’t addressed you can look deeper and you’ll discover that someone is being paid to either make it happen or keep it from happening.
In this case, the NRA and others who benefit from the sale of guns have no intention of making changes that will have an impact on their bottom line. The more guns being sold, the more money they make. The more money they make, the more they have to spend lobbying politicians to make sure that there are no real changes in the gun laws.
The bottom line in my opinion should be human life. If lives are being lost because of high-powered assault weapons then I say get rid of the high –powered assault weapons or a least make them extremely difficult to purchase.
But instead they want to add guns going so far as to say teachers in the class rooms should be armed.
We can’t even depend on some teachers to refrain from having sex with their teenage students, now we want to put guns in their hands. A break up between the algebra teacher and 9th grade Timmy could get very ugly!
Last week the NRA spokesman said Black people need more guns. This time instead of following the money, let’s follow the racism. There are only two reasons he wants black to have more guns…1.to encourage black on black crime and 2. because the majority of gun violence perpetuated by Black people happens in black cites and neighborhoods. Not their hood not their problem, right?
And that’s why we…the people are most likely to be victims of shootings. We should be protesting the loudest about gun reform.
Let’s face it, the lobbyist, manufacturers, politicians and others who are getting fat wallets from the sales of guns are counting on the fact that neither they or any of their family members will ever be shot. The odds are probably in their favor.
All you have to do is read an urban newspaper and you’ll see that we aren’t as lucky.
Meanwhile, as the debate goes on, gun sales are off the chain. Many of the purchasers are reacting to the messages from right wing media, including Christian radio, that President Obama is coming for their guns. So combine the fact that we already have a track record of the Stand Your Ground Law working against us; we also have angry, gun-toting people ready to wage a war because they think the President is after their guns.
Sorry to say this, but it is becoming more and more dangerous to be black in America… or anywhere. Let’s get these guns off the streets!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31