Jada Pinkett Smith wrote an interesting piece that might give us all a different perspective on bullying. Normally, when we hear the word, we picture one kid abusing another kid either physically, mentally and now even via social media. But Jada, has flipped the script. She wonders whether the media, is in fact, playing the role of bully against many young celebrities. “How can we ask for our young stars to have a high level of responsibility if we are not demonstrating that same level of responsibility towards them,” she asks in a recent Facebook post.
Jada knows a little something about the subject. Not only was she in the spotlight at an early age on “A Different World,” but she’s married to Will Smith who was a teen celebrity. They are also the parents of two very high-profile child stars Jaden and Willow.
Her argument is that while teen celebrities are trying to live out their often complicated lives in front the world, the media should consider their ages and offer more support and less …well… bullying. I mean it’s easy enough to push the buttons of a male teen in a normal situation. Add to it cameras in his face, invasion of personal space, and even taunting and it’s the media has created the perfect storm. No question about it. We in the media often go for the easy target. I can speak from experience and on behalf of my colleagues and tell you how safe it is to make jokes, be critical and yes insulting when you’re in your own protective bubble. On the radio, on a news set, on social media, you can hurl out anything you want it’s easy to get caught up in the hype. After all, if you haven’t generated the mean stuff, you’re just commenting on the mean stuff others have said.
As a mom, I can relate to what Jada says. I can’t imagine my boys being verbally attacked by adults on a regular basis. Even though the Chris Browns, Rihannas, Lindsey Lohans, and the Britney Spears of the world have done things that clearly are wrong , their situations have to be made worse by the constant scrutiny they receive. And when it comes to actress Quvenzhané being called the “C-word” and even Gabby Douglas who was vilified for having a bad hair day, there’s no excuse for the nastiness they’ve had to endure.
Jada ends her post by making the point that, “most of us would have fallen to the waste side before we could even get to a crashed Ferrari, a controversial romance, several heart breaks, or an Oscar nomination at NINE.” And that it may be some sort of misplaced envy at all that some of our celebrities have accomplished that causes us to lash out the way that we do.
Whatever the cause may be, the end result remains the same whether you are public figure or the kid down the street – a lot of heartbreak and humiliation.
I hope that Jada’s words will resonate with any adult who uses their media platform to cause hurt as a trade-off for a laugh or even better ratings. I’m not sure what the solution is going to be. Maybe, as with the child or teen being bullied at school or on Facebook, lots of love, prayers and support is sometimes the most we can offer them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31