Jada Pinkett Smith wrote an interesting piece that might give us all a different perspective on bullying. Normally, when we hear the word, we picture one kid abusing another kid either physically, mentally and now even via social media. But Jada, has flipped the script. She wonders whether the media, is in fact, playing the role of bully against many young celebrities. “How can we ask for our young stars to have a high level of responsibility if we are not demonstrating that same level of responsibility towards them,” she asks in a recent Facebook post.
Jada knows a little something about the subject. Not only was she in the spotlight at an early age on “A Different World,” but she’s married to Will Smith who was a teen celebrity. They are also the parents of two very high-profile child stars Jaden and Willow.
Her argument is that while teen celebrities are trying to live out their often complicated lives in front the world, the media should consider their ages and offer more support and less …well… bullying. I mean it’s easy enough to push the buttons of a male teen in a normal situation. Add to it cameras in his face, invasion of personal space, and even taunting and it’s the media has created the perfect storm. No question about it. We in the media often go for the easy target. I can speak from experience and on behalf of my colleagues and tell you how safe it is to make jokes, be critical and yes insulting when you’re in your own protective bubble. On the radio, on a news set, on social media, you can hurl out anything you want it’s easy to get caught up in the hype. After all, if you haven’t generated the mean stuff, you’re just commenting on the mean stuff others have said.
As a mom, I can relate to what Jada says. I can’t imagine my boys being verbally attacked by adults on a regular basis. Even though the Chris Browns, Rihannas, Lindsey Lohans, and the Britney Spears of the world have done things that clearly are wrong , their situations have to be made worse by the constant scrutiny they receive. And when it comes to actress Quvenzhané being called the “C-word” and even Gabby Douglas who was vilified for having a bad hair day, there’s no excuse for the nastiness they’ve had to endure.
Jada ends her post by making the point that, “most of us would have fallen to the waste side before we could even get to a crashed Ferrari, a controversial romance, several heart breaks, or an Oscar nomination at NINE.” And that it may be some sort of misplaced envy at all that some of our celebrities have accomplished that causes us to lash out the way that we do.
Whatever the cause may be, the end result remains the same whether you are public figure or the kid down the street – a lot of heartbreak and humiliation.
I hope that Jada’s words will resonate with any adult who uses their media platform to cause hurt as a trade-off for a laugh or even better ratings. I’m not sure what the solution is going to be. Maybe, as with the child or teen being bullied at school or on Facebook, lots of love, prayers and support is sometimes the most we can offer them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30