Jada Pinkett Smith wrote an interesting piece that might give us all a different perspective on bullying. Normally, when we hear the word, we picture one kid abusing another kid either physically, mentally and now even via social media. But Jada, has flipped the script. She wonders whether the media, is in fact, playing the role of bully against many young celebrities. “How can we ask for our young stars to have a high level of responsibility if we are not demonstrating that same level of responsibility towards them,” she asks in a recent Facebook post.
Jada knows a little something about the subject. Not only was she in the spotlight at an early age on “A Different World,” but she’s married to Will Smith who was a teen celebrity. They are also the parents of two very high-profile child stars Jaden and Willow.
Her argument is that while teen celebrities are trying to live out their often complicated lives in front the world, the media should consider their ages and offer more support and less …well… bullying. I mean it’s easy enough to push the buttons of a male teen in a normal situation. Add to it cameras in his face, invasion of personal space, and even taunting and it’s the media has created the perfect storm. No question about it. We in the media often go for the easy target. I can speak from experience and on behalf of my colleagues and tell you how safe it is to make jokes, be critical and yes insulting when you’re in your own protective bubble. On the radio, on a news set, on social media, you can hurl out anything you want it’s easy to get caught up in the hype. After all, if you haven’t generated the mean stuff, you’re just commenting on the mean stuff others have said.
As a mom, I can relate to what Jada says. I can’t imagine my boys being verbally attacked by adults on a regular basis. Even though the Chris Browns, Rihannas, Lindsey Lohans, and the Britney Spears of the world have done things that clearly are wrong , their situations have to be made worse by the constant scrutiny they receive. And when it comes to actress Quvenzhané being called the “C-word” and even Gabby Douglas who was vilified for having a bad hair day, there’s no excuse for the nastiness they’ve had to endure.
Jada ends her post by making the point that, “most of us would have fallen to the waste side before we could even get to a crashed Ferrari, a controversial romance, several heart breaks, or an Oscar nomination at NINE.” And that it may be some sort of misplaced envy at all that some of our celebrities have accomplished that causes us to lash out the way that we do.
Whatever the cause may be, the end result remains the same whether you are public figure or the kid down the street – a lot of heartbreak and humiliation.
I hope that Jada’s words will resonate with any adult who uses their media platform to cause hurt as a trade-off for a laugh or even better ratings. I’m not sure what the solution is going to be. Maybe, as with the child or teen being bullied at school or on Facebook, lots of love, prayers and support is sometimes the most we can offer them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25