ALFRED, Maine (AP) — The lead investigator in the case against an insurance agent accused of helping a fitness instructor use a Zumba studio as a front for prostitution testified Friday that she concluded early in her investigation that a “pimp” was calling the shots.
Officer Audra Presby said she later realized she was in over her head and needed extra help.
The Kennebunk police officer told jurors hearing the case against Mark Strong Sr. that she felt someone other than dance instructor Alexis Wright was controlling the operation at Wright’s Zumba studio and making money from it.
Referring to her investigation notes, she said: “I felt that the term ‘pimp’ at that time was someone assisting or controlling the operation of prostitution. He was guiding her. He was assisting her in decisions and had something to do with the money aspect of her business.”
The word “pimp” was a key source of disagreement in the trial Friday, with the defense arguing that Strong didn’t profit from Wright’s activities, and a prosecutor shouting “objection, objection, objection” during defense lawyer Dan Lilley’s line of questioning.
Strong, 57, of Thomaston, is on trial on 13 counts related to promotion of prostitution. Wright, 30, who also faces charges, is to be tried later.
Strong’s attorneys contend their client had an affair with Wright and loaned her money to start her Pura Vida studio but no crime was committed because he didn’t recruit clients and didn’t profit from her operation.
Prosecutors say video chats between Strong and Wright are proof that Strong was closely involved in the operation. Jurors watched videos Thursday that indicated Strong watched live video feeds from his Thomaston insurance office as Wright engaged in sexual encounters in which money changed hands 100 miles away in Kennebunk.
The proceeding Friday was marked by testy exchanges between Lilley and Deputy District Attorney Justina McGettigan, who objected often to Lilley’s cross-examination with increasing volume, leading to a retort from Lilley: “Let’s keep it down. I have ears!”
The alleged prostitution scandal in the seaside community of Kennebunk attracted attention last fall after it was reported that Wright’s ledgers indicated she made $150,000 over 18 months and that she had more than 150 clients, some of them prominent.
Presby said she realized her police department needed help after search warrants were executed Feb. 14, 2012, on Wright’s office and studio in Kennebunk and her home in Wells.
State police, the Secret Service, postal inspectors, Internal Revenue Service, Maine Revenue Services and other agencies eventually responded to her request for assistance.
But what Presby thought might be a large prostitution operation ended up involving only one prostitute, she said.
Among the items seized during last year’s Valentine’s Day raid were a gold badge and Wright’s state identification as an assistant investigator, both of which were found in her purse.
Strong’s lawyers say Wright studied under Strong to become a private investigator. But a state police spokesman said Friday that licensed private investigators aren’t allowed to carry badges.
The defense contends Strong was unfairly targeted because he was investigating alleged unprofessional conduct by Presby, who was reprimanded for having an affair with her boss, and other officers in the police department.
Questioned by the defense, Presby acknowledged recovering a yellow legal pad from Strong’s desktop in Thomaston with notes about her and other members of the department. She also was questioned about a hard drive that ended up in her possession and contained no data when it arrived two days later at the state police computer lab. The defense has suggested that the blank drive could have contained Strong’s investigatory files.
The trial continues Monday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30