NEW YORK (AP) — Like most people who get the chance to host “Saturday Night Live,” Kevin Hart is excited to have the gig.
Unlike most hosts, Hart is proving to be complicated.
For starters, the 32-year-old comedian-actor doesn’t like making eye contact. When he writes his jokes, he has to do it in a “think tank” — alone, in his home.
He also has to stand on top of an apple box when performing. Sometimes, he has to stand on two of them.
That’s why collaborating with the “SNL” cast and crew feels like a new process for Hart, who is hosting the NBC show this weekend.
“I am what you would a call a genius,” said Hart, as the “SNL” cast and crew burst into laughter.
“So this process here is a little different. … A lot of people came in the room and were looking into my eyes and it threw me off a little bit,” he says jokingly, but in a serious tone. “So I just closed my eyes and let them talk and kind of took it all in. And then I recited everything they said.”
Hart was in good spirits and self-deprecating — as usual — as he shot “SNL” promos with Jason Sudeikis and Bobby Moynihan on Tuesday.
His hosting gig on “SNL” is another notch on his growing resume: He hosted last year’s MTV Video Music Awards, has appeared on ABC’s “Modern Family” and starred in the romantic comedy “Think Like a Man.”
He’s also the star of the BET parody series “Real Husbands of Hollywood” (Tuesday, 10 p.m. EST) with Robin Thicke and Nick Cannon. The Philadelphia-born Hart said he’s “anxious,” but not worried, about hosting “SNL.”
“You can’t get nervous about what you love to do. This is what I love to do, so the opportunity to do it on this stage is ridiculous,” he said.
Duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, known for their hit “Thrift Shop,” will perform Saturday night. Hart says he’s a fan of group — sort of.
“I am a fan now ’cause I found out who they were when I realized they were going to be on the show with me. So because of the Internet and the Google search, I Googled them,” he said, as others laughed. “I educated myself — almost another genius move of mine — to think to Google somebody that I didn’t know.”
So is Hart enjoying the group’s massive, multiplatinum anthem about buying used clothes?
“I didn’t hear that. Didn’t hear that one. Don’t know what that one is,” he said. “But I heard some other stuff. Don’t really know the titles. But I know (Macklemore’s) white — from Google.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31