INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The state commission that oversees judicial conduct filed disciplinary charges Monday against a northern Indiana lawyer who’s also a part-time judge, accusing her of having an inappropriate relationship with a client while she was his public defender.
The Indiana Commission on Judicial Qualifications accused Logansport attorney Lisa Traylor-Wolff with engaging in “sexual relations” with a client, violating the rules of professional conduct of an attorney and of violating the code of judicial conduct that requires a judge to promote confidence in the integrity of the judiciary and to avoid impropriety.
Traylor-Wolff declined to comment on the charges.
The charges say Traylor-Wolff was appointed on Sept. 6, 2011, to be the public defender for a 26-year-old accused of burglary, robbery and felony confinement. The disciplinary charges don’t name the man, but give the initials S.W. and the case number. Court records indicate it is a man named Scott Wampler of Peru, who was sentenced to 30 years in prison.
The disciplinary charges say Traylor-Wolff continued to represent Wampler as he appealed his conviction and developed a more personal relationship with him, giving him books, making cash deposits to his prison account, sending him personal emails and completing a Bible study with him.
The charges allege the two developed a romantic relationship in May 2012. The charges say she kissed Wampler three times at the Miami Correctional Facility, including once while sitting on his lap. The charges say Traylor-Wolff and Wampler met in a private attorney-client visitation room at the prison on June 15 and correctional officers observed them at the end of the meeting “engaged in excessive fondling with intent to sexually gratify over the clothing.”
The charges say that contact “meets the definition of ‘sexual relations’” as defined under the Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct. Wampler was written up for the incident and, following a hearing, was sanctioned with a loss of jail credit time, according to the charges.
Traylor-Wolff has 20 days to respond to respond to the charges. The Indiana Supreme Court will then appoint three masters to conduct a public hearing.
The Supreme Court has final authority over discipline. If she is found to have violated any court rules, Traylor-Wolff could face sanctions ranging from a reprimand to a permanent ban on holding a judicial office in Indiana.
Traylor-Wolf served as a judge in the Pulaski/Fulton county courts from 1991-93 and as Pulaski Superior Court judge from 1994-2000. In Indiana, senior judges work on a part-time basis filling-in for trial court judges and are allowed to have clients. Full-time judges are not.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25