While many of us were beaming with joy at the way refreshingly kid-like Quvenzhane Wallis handled herself on the Oscar Red Carpet, someone at The Onion tweeted about her using what may be the most offensive word in English language.
In case you’re not familiar with it, the Onion is a satirical news outlet that posts tongue-in-cheek articles and headlines on the internet.
As far as the what word they used … I can’t even bring myself to repeat it here, so for the purposes of this blog, we will call it the “C”- word.
On Monday, the “publication’s” chief executive Steve Hannah released the following statement on Facebook:
On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive — not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.”
He went on to say the Tweet was taken down within an hour of being posted and that tighter procedures have been put in place to make sure that kind of mistake doesn’t happen again. Finally, he says those responsible for the Tweet would be disciplined and to Quvenzhane he offered “Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.”
All the right stuff … all too late.
The bottom line is what kind of world are we living in where the “C”- word could even be considered a satirical term in reference to any woman … let alone a 9-year-old girl.
The damage goes for beyond the obvious offense. As Mr. Hannah noted, the Tweet was deleted the same night it was posted. But we all know what happens once a story goes viral … there’s “virtually” no turning back. That means from now until eternity, when Quvenzahne or any one else Googles her name that word could come up.
What a horrible footnote to such a historic night. Quvenzhane, is the youngest ever nominated for an Academy Award.
There’s an old story about a woman on a chicken farm who was the victim of vicious gossip. A neighbor who started the gossip came to her to apologize and begged her forgiveness. The woman said she would accept the apology if the neighbor would help her with a task. She emptied a basket of chicken feathers and watched them blow all over the yard, then asked the neighbor to help pick them up.
“They’ve blown all over, up in the air all around in all directions,” the neighbor cried.
“Just like the rumors,” said the woman.
The biggest issues is where the line is and how far over it will we allow the media, traditional and social, to go? I work on a radio show that relishes in satire and humor that some can and do find offensive from time to time. I get that some people are more sensitive to certain types of humor than others.
But in my opinion there’s no debate about the “C” word ever.
And an apology in this case, isn’t enough.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25