While many of us were beaming with joy at the way refreshingly kid-like Quvenzhane Wallis handled herself on the Oscar Red Carpet, someone at The Onion tweeted about her using what may be the most offensive word in English language.
In case you’re not familiar with it, the Onion is a satirical news outlet that posts tongue-in-cheek articles and headlines on the internet.
As far as the what word they used … I can’t even bring myself to repeat it here, so for the purposes of this blog, we will call it the “C”- word.
On Monday, the “publication’s” chief executive Steve Hannah released the following statement on Facebook:
On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive — not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.”
He went on to say the Tweet was taken down within an hour of being posted and that tighter procedures have been put in place to make sure that kind of mistake doesn’t happen again. Finally, he says those responsible for the Tweet would be disciplined and to Quvenzhane he offered “Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.”
All the right stuff … all too late.
The bottom line is what kind of world are we living in where the “C”- word could even be considered a satirical term in reference to any woman … let alone a 9-year-old girl.
The damage goes for beyond the obvious offense. As Mr. Hannah noted, the Tweet was deleted the same night it was posted. But we all know what happens once a story goes viral … there’s “virtually” no turning back. That means from now until eternity, when Quvenzahne or any one else Googles her name that word could come up.
What a horrible footnote to such a historic night. Quvenzhane, is the youngest ever nominated for an Academy Award.
There’s an old story about a woman on a chicken farm who was the victim of vicious gossip. A neighbor who started the gossip came to her to apologize and begged her forgiveness. The woman said she would accept the apology if the neighbor would help her with a task. She emptied a basket of chicken feathers and watched them blow all over the yard, then asked the neighbor to help pick them up.
“They’ve blown all over, up in the air all around in all directions,” the neighbor cried.
“Just like the rumors,” said the woman.
The biggest issues is where the line is and how far over it will we allow the media, traditional and social, to go? I work on a radio show that relishes in satire and humor that some can and do find offensive from time to time. I get that some people are more sensitive to certain types of humor than others.
But in my opinion there’s no debate about the “C” word ever.
And an apology in this case, isn’t enough.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31