While many of us were beaming with joy at the way refreshingly kid-like Quvenzhane Wallis handled herself on the Oscar Red Carpet, someone at The Onion tweeted about her using what may be the most offensive word in English language.
In case you’re not familiar with it, the Onion is a satirical news outlet that posts tongue-in-cheek articles and headlines on the internet.
As far as the what word they used … I can’t even bring myself to repeat it here, so for the purposes of this blog, we will call it the “C”- word.
On Monday, the “publication’s” chief executive Steve Hannah released the following statement on Facebook:
On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive — not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.”
He went on to say the Tweet was taken down within an hour of being posted and that tighter procedures have been put in place to make sure that kind of mistake doesn’t happen again. Finally, he says those responsible for the Tweet would be disciplined and to Quvenzhane he offered “Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.”
All the right stuff … all too late.
The bottom line is what kind of world are we living in where the “C”- word could even be considered a satirical term in reference to any woman … let alone a 9-year-old girl.
The damage goes for beyond the obvious offense. As Mr. Hannah noted, the Tweet was deleted the same night it was posted. But we all know what happens once a story goes viral … there’s “virtually” no turning back. That means from now until eternity, when Quvenzahne or any one else Googles her name that word could come up.
What a horrible footnote to such a historic night. Quvenzhane, is the youngest ever nominated for an Academy Award.
There’s an old story about a woman on a chicken farm who was the victim of vicious gossip. A neighbor who started the gossip came to her to apologize and begged her forgiveness. The woman said she would accept the apology if the neighbor would help her with a task. She emptied a basket of chicken feathers and watched them blow all over the yard, then asked the neighbor to help pick them up.
“They’ve blown all over, up in the air all around in all directions,” the neighbor cried.
“Just like the rumors,” said the woman.
The biggest issues is where the line is and how far over it will we allow the media, traditional and social, to go? I work on a radio show that relishes in satire and humor that some can and do find offensive from time to time. I get that some people are more sensitive to certain types of humor than others.
But in my opinion there’s no debate about the “C” word ever.
And an apology in this case, isn’t enough.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30