Have a question about breast cancer? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Malaak Compton-Rock is an activist by nature.
Her experience in public relations and the cosmetics industry helped her draw star power to worthwhile causes after she went to work for the U.S. Fund for UNICEF (The United Nations Children’s Fund), where she designed and orchestrated numerous fundraising and advocacy events.
Compton-Rock then went on to found the Angelrock Project, an online e-village that promotes volunteerism, social responsibility, and sustainable change. The Angelrock Project provides information on how to be an effective volunteer, advice on monetary or in-kind donations, links to life-changing non-profit organizations and recommends fair trade companies whose products sustain third-world artisans.
She has now turned her attention to helping the Susan G. Komen foundation further its work in finding a cure for breast cancer, specifically Triple Negative Breast Cancer, a particularly virulent form of the disease that hits younger black women disproportionately.
According to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation (TNBCF), while black women are less likely than white women to get breast cancer, when they do get the disease they tend to get it earlier (before age 40) and are 41 percent more likely to die from it. In fact, it is the second most common cancer and cause of cancer death among African American women.
Too many African American women discover that they have breast cancer when the disease is advanced, rather than at early stages when life-saving treatment may be more effective.
Black women are three times more likely than white women to get Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
Susan G. Komen is funding several grants to study this aggressive form of breast cancer in African American women and has teamed up with TNBCF on a promise grant to explore new treatment options for Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
Those interested in helping Komen and TNBCF to further their research work for Triple Negative Breast Cance, may donate by clicking on the Susan G. Komen image below.
“There is significant interest in better understanding TNBCF among researchers and scientists, who are working diligently to identify better treatment options,” Compton-Rock said in a statement announcing her support for the research effort.
Additionally, the public is invited to visit the TNBCF site for details on how to raise awareness about the disease on Triple Negative Breast Cancer Day on March 3.
TNBCF and Komen are encouraging men, as well as women, to be “breast self-aware” by:
• Knowing their risk for breast cancer by talking to their doctors and knowing their family health histories.
• Getting screened. Women over 20 at average risk should get a clinical breast exam at least every three years and starting at 40 to get a yearly mammogram.
• Familiarizing yourself with your breasts and report any changes to your doctor.
• Maintaining a healthy lifestyle – eating right, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Malaak Compton-Rock Works to Find a Cure for Breast Cancer