Have a question about breast cancer? Text it to “646464” (OHOHOH).
Malaak Compton-Rock is an activist by nature.
Her experience in public relations and the cosmetics industry helped her draw star power to worthwhile causes after she went to work for the U.S. Fund for UNICEF (The United Nations Children’s Fund), where she designed and orchestrated numerous fundraising and advocacy events.
Compton-Rock then went on to found the Angelrock Project, an online e-village that promotes volunteerism, social responsibility, and sustainable change. The Angelrock Project provides information on how to be an effective volunteer, advice on monetary or in-kind donations, links to life-changing non-profit organizations and recommends fair trade companies whose products sustain third-world artisans.
She has now turned her attention to helping the Susan G. Komen foundation further its work in finding a cure for breast cancer, specifically Triple Negative Breast Cancer, a particularly virulent form of the disease that hits younger black women disproportionately.
According to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation (TNBCF), while black women are less likely than white women to get breast cancer, when they do get the disease they tend to get it earlier (before age 40) and are 41 percent more likely to die from it. In fact, it is the second most common cancer and cause of cancer death among African American women.
Too many African American women discover that they have breast cancer when the disease is advanced, rather than at early stages when life-saving treatment may be more effective.
Black women are three times more likely than white women to get Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
Susan G. Komen is funding several grants to study this aggressive form of breast cancer in African American women and has teamed up with TNBCF on a promise grant to explore new treatment options for Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
Those interested in helping Komen and TNBCF to further their research work for Triple Negative Breast Cance, may donate by clicking on the Susan G. Komen image below.
“There is significant interest in better understanding TNBCF among researchers and scientists, who are working diligently to identify better treatment options,” Compton-Rock said in a statement announcing her support for the research effort.
Additionally, the public is invited to visit the TNBCF site for details on how to raise awareness about the disease on Triple Negative Breast Cancer Day on March 3.
TNBCF and Komen are encouraging men, as well as women, to be “breast self-aware” by:
• Knowing their risk for breast cancer by talking to their doctors and knowing their family health histories.
• Getting screened. Women over 20 at average risk should get a clinical breast exam at least every three years and starting at 40 to get a yearly mammogram.
• Familiarizing yourself with your breasts and report any changes to your doctor.
• Maintaining a healthy lifestyle – eating right, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Malaak Compton-Rock Works to Find a Cure for Breast Cancer