No major headline or call to stop the presses. Excuse my language, but it really does SUCK. But what sucks even more is to sit idly by and do nothing about cancer.
A generation has passed since cancer sucked the life out of my world. January 7, 1993. To borrow from The Temptations: “that day I’ll always remember, yes I will. ‘Cause that was the day my mama died.” Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my mom and dad. One morning my daddy took me to Sunday school, went home and had a massive heart attack while preparing for church. That night he was gone. My mom died eight years after her breast cancer diagnosis. Some days it seems like forever ago. Others, just like yesterday, I think about her “motherisms,” wonder how they would react to things happening in the world today, but more often than not, I just miss them, especially my mom.
But as much as cancer sucks, what sucks even more is to do nothing to stop this awful disease—especially the cancer that so strongly affects my family.
I know that whenever that day comes to meet my mom and dad on the other side of the Pearly Gates (and yes, despite what you may hear on the air, I will make it there), there will be questions. My mother will surely have questions and observations about the way I have lived my life. Why haven’t I gotten married yet? After all, my mom had a permanent seat on the
“Marry-Go-Round.” But one question she won’t have to ask is, what have you done to fight breast cancer?
I love my association with Komen for the Cure as a Circle of Promise Ambassador. It’s my responsibility, one of my purposes in life to participate in fundraising walks, sponsor fundraising runs, share my story, talk, listen and talk some more to women and men of color. As a rule, we don’t get cancer more often, but often it is more virulent. Check out the studies and cases of women affected by Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
If you want to make a difference, there are two things you can do today.
The first is, if you have not already, TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH and BE BREAST SELF AWARE.
Secondly, if you want to help Susan G. Komen continue the work they are doing, you can donate to help fund research for Triple Negative Breast Cancer or other national programs for education and outreach for African Americans. Check out the link here.
My fervent prayer is that one day I’ll be a minority as the child of a breast cancer patient/survivor. That a son or daughter won’t sit in a doctor’s office, as I once did, hearing biopsy results, with the words screaming in my head, “MY MOTHER HAS BREAST CANCER! MY MOM HAS CANCER! MY MOM….!” One day, the dates we’ll always remember won’t be the day your mama died, from breast cancer.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25