No major headline or call to stop the presses. Excuse my language, but it really does SUCK. But what sucks even more is to sit idly by and do nothing about cancer.
A generation has passed since cancer sucked the life out of my world. January 7, 1993. To borrow from The Temptations: “that day I’ll always remember, yes I will. ‘Cause that was the day my mama died.” Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my mom and dad. One morning my daddy took me to Sunday school, went home and had a massive heart attack while preparing for church. That night he was gone. My mom died eight years after her breast cancer diagnosis. Some days it seems like forever ago. Others, just like yesterday, I think about her “motherisms,” wonder how they would react to things happening in the world today, but more often than not, I just miss them, especially my mom.
But as much as cancer sucks, what sucks even more is to do nothing to stop this awful disease—especially the cancer that so strongly affects my family.
I know that whenever that day comes to meet my mom and dad on the other side of the Pearly Gates (and yes, despite what you may hear on the air, I will make it there), there will be questions. My mother will surely have questions and observations about the way I have lived my life. Why haven’t I gotten married yet? After all, my mom had a permanent seat on the
“Marry-Go-Round.” But one question she won’t have to ask is, what have you done to fight breast cancer?
I love my association with Komen for the Cure as a Circle of Promise Ambassador. It’s my responsibility, one of my purposes in life to participate in fundraising walks, sponsor fundraising runs, share my story, talk, listen and talk some more to women and men of color. As a rule, we don’t get cancer more often, but often it is more virulent. Check out the studies and cases of women affected by Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
If you want to make a difference, there are two things you can do today.
The first is, if you have not already, TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH and BE BREAST SELF AWARE.
Secondly, if you want to help Susan G. Komen continue the work they are doing, you can donate to help fund research for Triple Negative Breast Cancer or other national programs for education and outreach for African Americans. Check out the link here.
My fervent prayer is that one day I’ll be a minority as the child of a breast cancer patient/survivor. That a son or daughter won’t sit in a doctor’s office, as I once did, hearing biopsy results, with the words screaming in my head, “MY MOTHER HAS BREAST CANCER! MY MOM HAS CANCER! MY MOM….!” One day, the dates we’ll always remember won’t be the day your mama died, from breast cancer.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30