Search Widens for Suspect in Vegas Strip Shooting

Comments: 2  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • LAS VEGAS (AP) — A manhunt has widened to southeastern U.S. states for a 26-year-old ex-convict identified as the prime suspect in a shooting and fiery crash that killed three last week on the Las Vegas Strip, police said Monday.

    Ammar Harris used to live in South Carolina and Georgia, he was convicted in Atlanta in 2005 of marijuana possession, and he was arrested in Miami in December on a reckless driving charge, according to public records.

    “We have him identified,” Las Vegas police Capt. Chris Jones said. “Now the focus is on locating and apprehending him. We’re getting help all over the place.”

    Harris used the name Ammar Asim Faruq Harris when he was arrested last May in Las Vegas in a June 2010 case. He was charged with robbery, sexual assault, kidnapping and coercion with a weapon.

    Las Vegas police also sought pandering by force and ex-felon in possession of concealed weapon charges stemming from allegations that Harris was a pimp and attacked a woman.

    Court records show the case was dismissed last June. The prosecutor and public defender who handled the case didn’t immediately respond to messages left Monday.

    Investigators believe Harris was the driver and the gunman who fired shots from a black Range Rover SUV into a Maserati, killing an aspiring rapper and causing a crash and explosion that killed two people when a taxi exploded in a fireball before dawn Thursday at the heart of the Strip.

    A SWAT team didn’t find Harris at his home after the SUV was found parked Saturday in the garage of a gated apartment complex a couple of blocks east of the Strip.

    1 2 Next page »

    Tags: » »

    • More Related Content

    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 1,917 other followers