Professional stone mason August Williams was one of only two African American constructors that built the Martin Luther King Memorial at the National Mall. Williams was a masonry student of New Orleans who was taught to do everything the old-fashioned way, by hand. He worked as an on-call minute-man before taking on larger products like Arlington Cemetery and the National Museum of the American Indian.
August Williams came out of retirement to work on the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial. Williams “made a call and made them an offer they couldn’t refuse” on the project. He believed that it was necessary for an African American stone mason to work on the statue. Upon arrival at the memorial site, Williams shed a tear when the reality and magnitude of the project set in.
While in construction, Williams harvested fragments from the memorial and auctioned one in the form of a plaque online, while another was made specifically for the White House. On the plaque, Williams describes his work on the memorial. One thousand additional fragments were to be sold by Williams – each containing a piece of African American history for generations forward.
After its completion and opening on August 22, 2011, Williams and the other masons also worked on a book about the project.
He will forever be a part of building history; building the Mountain of Despair and Stone of Hope in Washington, D.C.
Watch video below of August Williams speaking about building the memorial.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
24 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 24
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 24
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 24
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 24
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 24
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 24
7. new new
7 of 24
8. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
8 of 24
9. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
9 of 24
10. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
10 of 24
11. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
11 of 24
12. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
12 of 24
13. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
13 of 24
14. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
14 of 24
15. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
15 of 24
16. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
16 of 24
17. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
17 of 24
18. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
18 of 24
19. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
19 of 24
20. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
20 of 24
21. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
21 of 24
22. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
22 of 24
23. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
23 of 24
24. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
24 of 24