Somebody once said you never realize you have a drinking problem until you run out of wine. Take that alcohol away and that seemingly docile, agreeable individual might show you a surly, aggressive side that you didn’t know existed.
I think a lot of people who never thought of themselves as racist felt that way because they were in their comfort zone and left unchallenged for too long. Now that we’ve elected a black president for a second term, it’s like someone has put a cork in their moonshine.
Shortly after President Obama made history the media almost force fed us conversations about a post-racial America without stopping to think how ridiculous a notion it was. Now we’re seeing that not only is racism still around, it’s worse. It’s like a sleeping racist beast has been awakened and until we have THIS conversation we are going to see ever more blatant examples of race-based hatred.
Just this week in the news we covered two stories that sound like headlines from the 1950s.
A white man on a plane, upset that a baby is crying, yells out “shut that N-word baby up,” then slaps the baby.
A father of a newborn asked that no black nurses care for his baby. The hospital and the administration not only honored that request, but they put it in writing. The black nurse originally assigned to care for the baby, Tonya Battle, is suing the hospital. When she came our show Tuesday her story triggered a barrage of responses from our Text Tom Club.
There were lots of examples of the same kind of racism from people employed in hospitals, schools, stores, police forces, etc.
According to one listener, “I’m a commercial banker and customers have requested to not have black loan officers.”
Some also shared stories about black people who wanted to be served only by white people, proving that ignorance knows no color.
So what’s better: to pretend that these feeling and actions are isolated and can be contained or recognize that there’s a real problem and start dealing with it?
America has been self-medicating too long. It’s time to take a sobering look at the real issues and stop playing around.
I get accused all the time of playing the race card. Lately, I’ve been using the whole deck because I’m not going to pretend that this thing is even close to being over.
Add to all this, the NRA wants everyone to be armed.
The last thing we need is a bunch of angry racists with concealed weapons being egged on by Fox news reporters and the religious right. But that’s what’s happening and we’re in for some explosive times.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25