Tom, Sybil, and Jay Anthony. As you well know, basketballs best and brightest; from the rising starts to the legends were in Houston to celebrate the sport’s biggest showcase. As we look back at this years NBA All-Star weekend it is important to take a few lessons on how each of us can become an all-star. There are 5 lessons I want to share
Lesson 1. Cleveland Cavalier Kyrie Irving won the three-point contest, reminding us that you can make it work even when your dream seems further away than what’s comfortable. Keep your eye on the prize and shooting for victory while others believe the dream is too far away and just hold the ball.
Lesson 2. Kobe Bryant blocked Labron James twice towards the end of the game teaching us that you can be having the worst season ever, but when faced against the best player in the game prove that you can go toe-to-toe with anyone. How many of you who are listening are having a terrible start to 2013. Far worse than you could have imagined? But every time the giant comes to take you out – you look it in the eye and say not on me today. Stay encouraged knowing that if you can make it to the game our can do more than survive…you can win.
Lesson 3. Chris Paul, of the LA Clippers, was the first solo true point guard to win a solo MVP since Magic Johnson in 1992. He taught us that you don’t have to be the one who scores to be the one who makes the difference. If you are one of those servants out there who makes it possible for others to score, for others to have a chance to win in life, you may not get the headline, but you are an all-star this morning.
Lesson 4. Michael Jordon showed us that legacy is king. He has not played an NBA Game or had major presence at an All-Star Weekend in over a decade. But on his 50th birthday weekend he had the biggest brand of the event. The lesson? Your Legacy will always speak louder than your voice. To those who produce…keep pushing. Your contribution will inspire generations to come.
Lesson 5. Beyoncé showed us that no matter how talented you are nothing trumps work ethic. While for the second time in a month she proved she was bigger than a sporting event launching a HBO special and an Oprah interview on a weekend that would send lesser brands running for cover. She knew that being an NBA All-Star is not about the National Basketball League, but the NBA stands for Never Back Away from a challenge. And Tom there are some TJMS listeners who have never sold out a show, and wont ever meet Oprah, but the work they put in when nobody is watching will open doors that others say are impossible.
So to every NBA All-Star We salute you. Cause you don’t have to ball to be brilliant. I’m Jeff Johnson and That’s My Truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31