Clive Davis is officially out of the closet.
The veteran record executive, who launched the careers of stars including Whitney Houston and Janis Joplin, has come out as bisexual in his new memoir, “The Soundtrack of My Life.”
Davis, who has married and divorced twice, writes candidly about his first same-sex encounter with a man he met at the famous New York City club Studio 54 some-odd 30 years ago.
He recalls, “On this night, after imbibing enough alcohol, I was open to responding to his sexual overtures… Was I nervous? Absolutely. Did the heavens open up? No. But it was satisfying.”
The 80-year-old music veteran also reveals he was in a “monogamous relationship” with an unnamed male doctor from 1990 to 2004, and he has been dating another man for the past several years.
He writes, “Bisexuality is misunderstood; the adage is that you’re either straight or gay or lying, but that’s not my experience. To call me anything other than bisexual would be inaccurate.”
Davis also discusses his bisexuality on today’s episode of Katie Couric’s talk show “Katie.”
He tells Couric, “I’m still attracted to women… You don’t have to be only one thing or another (straight or gay). For me, it’s the person.”
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25