Until the latest episode of Bravo’s “Real Housewives of Atlanta” (RHOA) Kandi Burruss had been relatively low key during season 5.
As she concentrates on a new relationship with her fiance’ Todd Tucker and decorating her new home, Burruss hasn’t had time to get caught up in the never-ending drama between the “talls and smalls” that seems to be the focus of the program. But, her manager, Don Juan, noticed her career has been lagging as she puts all of her energy toward her personal life.
Agreeing that she need to re-focus, the 36-year-old singer/songwriter/producer went back to the studio and unexpectedly laid tracks for a … gospel record! Don Juan was understandably taken aback when his client said she wanted to add a gospel song to her next CD. Although Burruss has been successful making hits for her self and others and has dabbled in other genres (Country and House for instance), the R&B singer’s desire to do a gospel album comes as a surprise because Kandi, a single mom, is known for speaking candidly about sex. More importantly, she owns a sex toy line (“Bedroom Kandi“) and hosts a sexually oriented web show (“Kandi Koated Knights“), two factors that are not typical of an artist that sings about/for the Lord.
Apparently, Burruss is looking to make another hit. The song, entitled “Prayed Up,” features platinum- selling gospel artist Marvin Sapp. He sings and preaches the gospel. She sings and sells sex toys. Online comments suggest this collaboration struck a bad chord with the majority of viewers.
Days after the show aired, on Facebook, Burruss expressed that she was prepared for disapproval:
“I knew when I decided to do it that I would be criticized. That’s to be expected. I’m a single mom that had a child out of wedlock, I speak openly about sex on #KandiKoatedNights, I have #BedroomKandi, etc… I’m very honest about who I am. ”
The Grammy award winning, former member of 90′s girl group Xscape is not deterred by the criticism. In the lyrics of the song she calls herself a “sinner” and says “hopefully people with a similar struggle can relate.”
Kandi won’t be the first R&B songstress to do a gospel album. Many R&B artists got their start in the church and want to return to their roots; some of them never left their roots. Sometimes an artist will do music they always wanted to do. As Burruss said on the follow-up episode, she is claiming a #1 record. From the sound of the single Kandi is back in her zone.
Listen to “Stay Prayed Up” below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25