Aretha Franklin is a national treasure. The ultimate singing diva should have a statue somewhere in downtown Detroit, as she’s one of the city’s greatest living legends. Franklin has long reigned as the Queen of Soul and though many young singers revere and respect her, none have come even close to replacing her. With classic recordings behind her like “Chain of Fools,” “Respect,” “You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman” and other classic soul hits, Franklin has no peer. And though she’s getting older, like we all are, the feisty Franklin takes no mess from anyone who tries to slight her or her legacy. Here’s why we love us some Aretha.
1. SHE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE
Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration was a history making moment in itself. Of course, when Franklin was charged with singing “My Country Tis of Thee” to the nation and the world, everyone expected a magical moment. But what the world didn’t expect was how Franklin’s hat would become as much a part of the day as the pomp and circumstance. The now-famous grey felt cloche with a rhinestone-studded bow became its own news item and turned its Seoul-born designer Luke Song, into a worldwide sensation. The hat now resides in the Smithsonian, but will head out on tour this year as part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exhibit. Franklin may not consider this a diva moment, but only a true diva could stir a global response with not just her music, but her choice of headgear. Watch the performance here:
2. SHE KNOWS HOW TO OWN A MOMENT
In 1998, famed opera tenor Luciano Pavarotti was taken ill right before the Grammys where he was scheduled to sing “NessumDorma,” a classic opera recording. Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich remembered the Aretha Franklin had sung the song two nights before at pre-Grammy event and he asked her to step in for the ailing Pavarotti. She did, with no rehearsal, leading to one of the most famous on-the-fly Grammy performances in the show’s history. Watch the performance here:
3. SHE KNOWS HOW SHE SEES HERSELF
There may be folks who snickered when Aretha Franklin said she wanted Halle Berry to play her in her biopic. After all, the two women don’t seem to have that much in common physically and Berry can’t sing. But if they did snicker, they did so privately, since Franklin is well-known for her intolerance of disrespect. But here’s the thing – if you feel like Halle Berry is your choice, then why not? Jamie Foxx don’t look a daggone thing like Ray Charles and he won an Oscar for playing him. A gracious Berry said she didn’t think she had the singing chops to pull it off. We don’t know who else Franklin has in mind, but it’s her life, so let her choose who she wants.
4. SHE KNOWS HOW TO PROTECT HER LEGACY
Beyonce found out the hard way what happens when you don’t give the Queen her royal props. When B performed the Grammys in 2005, she referred to Tina Turner as one of music’s “queens.” Well, homage must be paid to royalty and Franklin bristled at the title “Queen” being applied to Turner. She issued a statement to Grammy organizers saying “I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce. However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy.” The moral of this story – there is only one Queen of Soul and if you don’t know, you better ask somebody.
5. SHE KNOWS HER MUSIC IS TIMELESS
Who can blame Franklin for protecting her legacy? It’s the same thing people get mad at Prince for, when he has his lawyers chasing fans who bootleg his music or post his videos without authorization. Music is something to be shared for sure, but artists like Franklin, Prince, Stevie Wonder and others are understandably protective of their legacy and livelihood. When you’ve made classics that have been part of the collective consciousness for decades, you deserve a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T, don’t you think?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31